• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

RF4289HARS Samsung Ice Maker stuck in OFF Mode

Bimmerod

Premium Member
Model Number
RF4289HARS
Brand
Samsung
Ice Maker is currently stuck in OFF mode and will not reset to show it being active. I have used the reset button on the side of the ice tray area and hear a single chime after depressing it for a few seconds. I never hear a second chime and the screen says "The Ice Making Off function is on. The ice cubes will not be produced. To make ice-cubes, reset the Ice-Off function." when I turn ice making On/Off.

20191226_180205c.jpg

I'm pretty sure this is what I just did with the little reset button on the side. The little glass icon show the words Ice Off in the glass.

Not sure why I can't enable the ice ON function ????

Freezer is -4 and I have looked into the Engineering Mode for any errors and there are none.

Thoughts ?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

First try to unplug the refrigerator from the wall outlet for about 5 minutes, then plug it in and see if works again, if not then your display assembly is the culprit.

Here's the display assembly for your model:
DA97-11828A Cover Disp Assy

Let us know how it goes.

Jake

Bimmerod

Premium Member
Hey Jake,

Thanks for the response.

UPDATE:
I played around a bit more and it seems as though I was reading the message incorrectly. It's like it's a double negative, "Ice Maker Off" is On or OFF. I now have it OFF which I guess is technically the Ice Maker is ON, go figure. It's counter intuitive to design it that way, it should just say "Ice Maker" and then On/Off switch.

After waiting 24 hours, I hit the reset on the side of the ice maker and heard the chime, then it dumped the ice. Came back another 12 hours later and it looks like it has only dumped 1 additional time. Not sure if I can expect it to start working at this point or not???

Let me know your thoughts

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, that is confusing.

Give it 24 hours and see how it does. If no better and the temperature is 16 degrees or lower in the ice maker compartment, then your ice maker has gone bad and you will need to replace it.

Here's the ice maker for your model:
DA97-07365G Ice Maker Assembly

Jake

Bimmerod

Premium Member
Hey Jake,

Just wanted to give you an update.

No more ice for dumped overnight, it only works once after pressing the reset button.

But I have just noticed another issue. Last night the ice cream in the freezer was not completely frozen even though the temp was at -4. I lowered it to - 6 and it went down to that degree but Overnight the freezer is still not completely frozen.

It's very weird because an ice tray in there has all but two trays frozen and that's how it was the night before. So I'm not sure what is going on here? It's like it's partly cold enough.

I thought at first there was too much stuff in the freezer and the circulation was not adequate. But after clearing the holiday stuff out, it still is like half frozen and didn't change with lowering the temperature overnight.

It has been an appliance nightmare this month. First the washer was screwed up then the microwave took a crap and now ice maker, freezer issues 😭😭😭

Let me know what I can try to troubleshoot the freezer issue?

Most likely the ice maker just happened to die on Christmas when we went through all the ice.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Interesting, make sure all your fans are running, pull the unit out from the wall, then remove the lower back access panel and make sure the condenser fan next to the compressor is running too.

Clean the condenser coils per your owners manual.

Jake

Bimmerod

Premium Member
Pulled off the back cover and the compressor is humming along and the fan is working. I had cleaned up everything a few months ago when I replaced the water filter and had the fridge pulled away from the wall.

I then pulled out the upper slide drawer from the freezer since I cannot seem to figure out how to take the bottom freezer drawer out completely ???

I held the door switch closed for awhile and I do not see the fan behind the back panel working. I never heard it come on, not sure how often it cycles but the freezer was open for awhile and the temps climbed back up to 34 degrees so I would assume it should be on full blast.

I pulled the back cover off as well and the fan spins freely by hand and there is no evidence of ice buildup on the coils behind the cover.

Are there more than 1 fan in the freezer compartment ??? I just see the upper gray colored one ion there but it's tough to see since I can't climb in there to unhook the wires to look at the complete back parts.

Not sure what is going on here as the temps for the freezer go back to -4 degrees after an hour or so but everything is like half frozen and stays that way ????

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Your installation/owners manual tells you how to pull the freezer drawer out completely.

Now are you referring to your freezer section that's 34 degrees?

You definitely have something strange going on, it would be best to have a Samsung Tech come out, this is very unusual and I'd need to come out to your house to see what's going on.

Jake

Bimmerod

Premium Member
Hey Jake,

Update:

Decided to put a thermometer in the freezer to check the temp using a separate device. After an hour in there it only got down to around 34-36 degrees even though the screen is showing -6. It seems like something is telling the freezer that it's already cold enough and the compressor is obviously not running long enough to bring the temps down. Not sure if this is affecting my ice maker as well ???

I'm testing the "Power Freeze" option right now to see if I force it to run that it will actually bring the temperature down to verify that all the necessary components are working.

Will report back when I see the results.

Bimmerod

Premium Member
Update:

Came back a few hours after activating "Power Freeze" and the temp has only drops to around 28-30. Hasn't started freezing things yet so I guess I will have to wait until morning to see.

Obviously I am not getting the adequate cooling necessary either because the compressor is not working properly or something on the control board is not functioning.

Not sure what else I can troubleshoot ???

Bimmerod

Premium Member
Is it safe to assume that the compressor must be working correctly since there are no temp issues with the fridge?

Hmmmmmm.......

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, the compressor has to be working because if it wasn't you'd get NO COOLING at all.

But the compressor can be still bad because its not cooling properly, meaning its not pumping the refrigerant through the sealed system properly for the freezer to get to 0 to 10 degrees like its suppose to be.

Like I said above--->You definitely have something strange going on, it would be best to have a Samsung Tech come out, this is very unusual and I'd need to come out to your house to see what's going on.

Contact Samsung at 1-800-726-7864 for a tech. to come out.

Jake

Bimmerod

Premium Member
Things I have done/tested thus far:

• Unplugged unit for 15 minutes, plugged back in and nothing has changed.
  • Went into Engineering Mode to view the Self Diagnostics and did not see any errors.
  • Removed the back panel and Cleaned up the dust/lint around the coils.
  • Tested the ohm value on the freezer temp sensor and it appears to be working normally. Ran the diagnostics while the sensor was out and I did receive an error message about the sensor so it appears the Self Diagnostics function is working. Put the sensor back in and ran the diag again and everything was clear, no errors. Is there something else that is controlling the temp value on the screen in front? Where is that info coming from if it's not -6 in there ???
  • Ran the "Power Freeze" setting so I could hear the compressor running at full speed. Compressor is warm to the touch, not hot and the fan is running great, providing good airflow. Even with the Power Freeze option enabled the freezer only got down to about 28-30 degrees, still not enough to freeze everything rock solid. That is after running all night long, still no change.
  • Verified the fan in the freezer is working by holding down the door closed button for a few seconds, then the fan turned on and blows cold air.

Guess it's time to call the Pros for this one???