FIXED RFG237AARS Samsung broken freezer door handle

Krnelson7

Premium Member
Model Number
RFG237AARS
Brand
Samsung
The door handle plate on our Samsung French door refrigerator cracked. I called Samsung and they sent the parts with no instructions. Any advice as to how to remove broken part and replace (or who I should call )? I can attach a picture if it would help. Thanks.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Check your owners/installation manual, it will say how to remove the handle and install the handle.

Jake

Krnelson7

Premium Member
It isn't the handle that is broken. It's the plastic plate that the handle attaches to that is cracked and needs to be replaced

wildimaginations

Appliance Tech
You will need an allen key to remove the allen screws that are on the side of the door handle. Not sure of what size but you can buy a set from the local hardware store.

kabley

The door handle plate on our Samsung French door refrigerator cracked. I called Samsung and they sent the parts with no instructions. Any advice as to how to remove broken part and replace (or who I should call )? I can attach a picture if it would help. Thanks.
20131028_194545.jpeg

20131028_194552.jpeg

I have the same issue. Did you ever solve your problem?

Model number: RF260BEAESR

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

What's your model# crepemama? Which door?

jeff.

nicole11

Samsung1.pngSamsung2.pngSamsung3.png

I do not recommend purchasing any Samsung product that has an "EZ-Open Handle". We purchased one just over a year ago and the plastic piece behind the handle cracked. We do not use the freezer on a regular basis so this raised some concern. We were told that order to fix this we would need to order an entire new freezer door as the small plastic part is factory sealed and cannot be purchased by a consumer . Over $400 was spent on what should have been presumably a $5-$10 part. #ConsumerAlert

Last edited:

Boudreau

Premium Member
:excitement:I had the same problem. Mine lasted 23 months. The quality is very poor. I went back to Best Buy and spent way too much time on the phone with Samsung and anger led me to the solution that worked. The cheap plastic that broke is secured by a metal plate. I drilled a hole through the metal plate and all the way through the Freezer door. I inserted a bolt from the inside of the freezer door and the nut screwed onto the outside of the metal plate. The result is the metal nub that holds the door handle on via an allen screw is now stable enough to hold it in place. Cost of the repair -- $0.00 smacks.

Did I sacrifice that precious Samsung and Best Buy Warranty forever -- indeed I did. Stunning poor quality -- both Best Buy and Samsung know it and they keep selling the crap. As far as I am concerned, my problem is solved. It is their problem to find a new customer to replace me. Based on what I have seen posted, I can expect to replace this refrigerator/freezer far sooner than I had originally anticipated.

I attached two pics that are in process. Good luck with your fix!

Attachments

Hi there. I'm wondering if you can post pictures of how you fixed it.

We have the same problem now and are trying to avoid spending a couple hundred to fix it.

:excitement:I had the same problem. Mine lasted 23 months. The quality is very poor. I went back to Best Buy and spent way too much time on the phone with Samsung and anger led me to the solution that worked. The cheap plastic that broke is secured by a metal plate. I drilled a hole through the metal plate and all the way through the Freezer door. I inserted a bolt from the inside of the freezer door and the nut screwed onto the outside of the metal plate. The result is the metal nub that holds the door handle on via an allen screw is now stable enough to hold it in place. Cost of the repair -- $0.00 smacks.

Did I sacrifice that precious Samsung and Best Buy Warranty forever -- indeed I did. Stunning poor quality -- both Best Buy and Samsung know it and they keep selling the crap. As far as I am concerned, my problem is solved. It is their problem to find a new customer to replace me. Based on what I have seen posted, I can expect to replace this refrigerator/freezer far sooner than I had originally anticipated.

Boudreau

Premium Member
X Marks The Spot.JPGIMG_0898.jpg

I attached two pictures -- the one shows an X where I drilled a hole through the plate that holds your handle onto the door. The second shows the long drill bit I used to drill all the way through the door. I inserted a bolt from the outside, through the plate and all the way through the door and put the nut on the inside of the door. A year later, it has not come off so one more year of service from the Samsung Fridge. The latest problem is the Ice maker is dead -- no noise or motion when pressing the reset button. This Samsung is a real lemmon but good luck with your fix.

PA Phil

This is an easy fix parts are available from Lowe's or on the web.

Pry off the access cover from the top of the drawer. Use a thin blade inserted from the front to pry up on the back.

Remove the 2 screws holding the pivot shaft in place. Remove the assembly through the front of the drawer.

The pivot shaft on the new part was longer than the original replace it with the shaft from the broken assembly.

Reverse the process to install.

Boudreau

Premium Member
PA Phil

Thanks for the update. My refrig broke in September of 2015. If such an easy, inexpensive fix, why didn't Samsung or Best Buy reply with this easy fix when they were asked or when help was needed? My fix is crude but the cost was right and the fix is holding...hoping for it to hold up a few more years until I need a new (Samsung Not) refrig'.

shdhawk

Premium Member
This is an easy fix parts are available from Lowe's or on the web.

Pry off the access cover from the top of the drawer. Use a thin blade inserted from the front to pry up on the back.

Remove the 2 screws holding the pivot shaft in place. Remove the assembly through the front of the drawer.

The pivot shaft on the new part was longer than the original replace it with the shaft from the broken assembly.

Reverse the process to install.
I have a similiar problem but mine is with the flex drawer, I dont understand your statement above about having to pry the parts of away form eachother.

If could be of any help i would greatly appericate it, i'd rather not spend 240bux

tkeohane

Premium Member
I was able to pry open the panels to allow access to the handle mounts. Yes, I broke the tabs that secure the plates, but it's a tight enough fit I'm not worried about those coming out.
Once inside, I was able to take out the broken pieces and find replacements online. Has not been a hard job, and the new parts do what they need to do. Save the metal pins from the broken parts- the replacement parts do NOT include a new metal pin- they just replace the broken plastic piece. I've posted a few photos which hopefully help explain what I did.

IMG_1119.JPG IMG_1120.JPG IMG_1121.JPG IMG_1124.JPG IMG_1126.JPG

cknowsher

So grateful you posted this! We followed your lead and did what you did and it works great! Thank you!

vpowers89

Premium Member
I was able to pry open the panels to allow access to the handle mounts. Yes, I broke the tabs that secure the plates, but it's a tight enough fit I'm not worried about those coming out.
Once inside, I was able to take out the broken pieces and find replacements online. Has not been a hard job, and the new parts do what they need to do. Save the metal pins from the broken parts- the replacement parts do NOT include a new metal pin- they just replace the broken plastic piece. I've posted a few photos which hopefully help explain what I did.

I was afraid this was going to be either a costly or difficult repair. Thank you for sharing!

vpowers89

Premium Member
I am not finding the plastic pieces anywhere. Do you remember where you purchased them & perhaps still have a parts # for them?