• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

RFG238AARS/XAA SAMSUNG FF defrost heater not turning on

Brown Farms

Premium Member
Model Number
RFG238AARS/XAA
Brand
Samsung
I received this from my neighbor for a barn fridge and it has the typical icing up problem in the FF evaporator. It has to be unplugged once a month due to ice build up and the fridge getting to warm. The freezer still functions as it should also. He has replaced the heater and the temp thermistor. The defrost thermostat has not been changed and the evaporator fan is indeed running. Last night I ran a forced defrost and the heater never heated up. I checked voltage at the connector during this time and there was not any voltage going to the heater. The heater ohm checked good. Does anybody think that the PCB would be the culprit? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_2017.jpg
    IMG_2017.jpg
    338.8 KB · Views: 79
  • part0.jpg
    part0.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 74

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The defrost thermostat has not been changed
I'd ohm test that first.

On these models the defrost thermostat is the thermistor, meaning it ohms at temperature. Just remove the defrost thermostat and put it in a cup of ice water for at least 5 minutes, then ohm test it.

You can ohm test the defrost thermostat with a multimeter, it should read about 13.3K ohms at 32 degrees.

Here's the defrost thermostat for your model:
DA47-00243K Defrost Thermostat

Jake

Brown Farms

Premium Member
Thanks Jake, I actually removed the thermal fuse and tested that, which is an open circuit. I believe that is the culprit. Funny thing is, there is nothing said about that in any of the research I did about this model. I can’t even find a replacement for this model, it is not offered anywhere that I have looked…

Attachments

• F54B2504-D8F9-4CE2-A1E3-A3BA023D4D1F.jpeg
    F54B2504-D8F9-4CE2-A1E3-A3BA023D4D1F.jpeg
    197.9 KB · Views: 80

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I posted the link to it in post #2, click the link and order it, its available.

Jake

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.