• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

RFG238AARS/XAA Samsung fridge temps stop updating

momerath71

Premium Member
Model Number
RFG238AARS/XAA
Brand
Samsung
I have a Samsung french door fridge, model RFG238AARS/XAA. This past Sunday night (10/10) we found both compartments significantly warmer than normal even though the front panel still indicated the temps were at setpoint. After a five-minute power cycle it showed that the internal temps were actually 63 degrees in the freezer and 72 in the fridge, which was more in line with what we were feeling. However, the compressor did not kick on immediately to correct the discrepancy, so we emptied the unit and left the power off overnight; when we plugged it back in Monday morning everything worked fine.

Today, however (10/14), we again found both compartments warmer than setpoint with the front panel indicating everything's hunky-dory. A five-minute reset again restored proper temperature indication (50 in the freezer and 63 in the fridge). The compressor again did not start up immediately; however, we delayed emptying it because we had other things going on and after a half hour the compressor kicked on and everything's cooling down again without having to defrost the whole unit.

So: it appears that the cooling process is working properly and the temperature sensors are working properly, it's just whatever looks at the sensors to turn on the compressor stops seeing them, locks in the last good reading and never turns the compressor on again until the power cycle forces a re-evaluation of the sensor inputs. It feels like a relay to me, but I have no idea where to start looking.

One final tidbit: holding the Freezer/Fridge buttons down at the same time never produces any effect (regardless of how long they're pushed) so I don't know if I have any error codes.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member

momerath71

Premium Member
Here is my control panel. Thanks!

2F0673EB-4ACC-48CD-87E7-FBCAFF4633ED.jpeg

momerath71

Premium Member
Okay, updating with new info…I pulled it out to get a picture of the control board and found the diagnostic sticker on the back. Apparently on mine it’s the Energy Saver and Lighting buttons that initiate the diagnostic. I did that, and after 6 seconds all the indicators flash twice, then at 8 seconds it shows 88 88. There is not a line on the chart for that, so either it’s okay or a control board like you said.

In addition, the chart said to look at the inverter PCB LED. Mine blinks once every 3-4 seconds (see attached video) which seems to indicate the PCB itself is bad.

Going forward, then, I need some help locating parts. My current control board p/n is DA41-00537A, and the inverter PCB is DA41-00585A. I don’t see anywhere on the fridge that indicates whether it’s a -X00, -X01, or -X02, so I think it’s a -X00, but neither of those part numbers cross with anybody’a current inventory. Any pointers would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 2BD33127-4ADA-4DAB-98B9-F6A792F341BF.jpeg
    2BD33127-4ADA-4DAB-98B9-F6A792F341BF.jpeg
    272.6 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_8802.MOV
    11.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 278166E3-115B-4428-9FD3-450EE6E2E3D4.jpeg
    278166E3-115B-4428-9FD3-450EE6E2E3D4.jpeg
    470.7 KB · Views: 21
  • E4BC31DE-7A3F-4D84-A675-9B0934EBBBBF.jpeg
    E4BC31DE-7A3F-4D84-A675-9B0934EBBBBF.jpeg
    285 KB · Views: 22

ender

Premium Member
Okay, updating with new info…I pulled it out to get a picture of the control board and found the diagnostic sticker on the back. Apparently on mine it’s the Energy Saver and Lighting buttons that initiate the diagnostic. I did that, and after 6 seconds all the indicators flash twice, then at 8 seconds it shows 88 88. There is not a line on the chart for that, so either it’s okay or a control board like you said.

In addition, the chart said to look at the inverter PCB LED. Mine blinks once every 3-4 seconds (see attached video) which seems to indicate the PCB itself is bad.

Going forward, then, I need some help locating parts. My current control board p/n is DA41-00537A, and the inverter PCB is DA41-00585A. I don’t see anywhere on the fridge that indicates whether it’s a -X00, -X01, or -X02, so I think it’s a -X00, but neither of those part numbers cross with anybody’a current inventory. Any pointers would be appreciated.
Hi...I'm having the same problem. Did the new PCB fix the issue? Thanks....

momerath71

Premium Member
Sorry, we’re still in trial-and-error mode. I pulled off the bottom panel in the back to see if the compressor had been running and found the situation in the attached picture. This was clearly interfering in the cooling, so I cleaned it all out and got a week and a half of good running…but then the freezer started letting things go to mush, though the fridge seemed to be holding its own—until last night when everything went to 50 degrees or more. I pulled the evaporator coil cover off and the coils are covered in a nice even coat of frost, so the sealed system is okay and the compressor runs.

Unfortunately, the control board’s been discontinued, and I can’t find a new one that cross-references as a replacement. It just kills, me, though, to scrap a whole fridge for a stinking circuit board, especially not knowing of that’s actually the issue. So I ordered a used one off of eBay, but since that’s a gamble in and of itself we are buying a new fridge to use as primary and this one’s going in the basement—if it works, great, if not…it’s that much closer to the street. I’ll update when I know more, but it’ll be Thursday (11/4) before I get the board and probably two weeks after that before I could really relax and say that it’s fixed, given it’s past behavior.

Attachments

• C444288C-8B69-4E0E-BD1A-03CFAE9D22BD.jpeg
    C444288C-8B69-4E0E-BD1A-03CFAE9D22BD.jpeg
    446.3 KB · Views: 16

ender

Premium Member
Thanks for the quick response. I have to check myself what's under freezer evaporator coil cover, then I'll make a decision - either PCB replacement or adding freon . Really appreciate !!!!