• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED RFG297HDPN/XAA Older Samsung fridge not making ice.

Retired JohnB

Premium Member
Model Number
RFG297HDPN
Brand
Samsung
Working on my daughters fridge made in March 2011. The unit stopped making ice. Meaning there is no ice at all, the bin is empty and no water in the ice maker. No frozen blockages. It seems to point to, it is not getting the signal to make ice or the water valve will not let water in as a start.

I ordered a new ice maker DA97-07365G which is several revisions newer then the one in the unit. The one she has is a DA97-07365A. It appears DA97-07365G replaces the one she has. The new ice maker has not come yet.

I tried to find the water inlet valve for the ice maker for sale. I cannot locate that part offered on Repair Clinic or Appliance parts pro. Any ideas where to find a new water valve? I will test the valve coil and that it mechanically opens, but if it's dead then I need one and cannot locate one. It is a drive to get to her place, so preparing in advance.

I also cannot find a wiring diagram/schematic or sequence of operation description on the ice maker. The fridge compartment seems to be cold enough as there are tiny water droplets in the ice maker frozen, but no ice cubes, like it stopped allowing water in or the level signal to call for new ice is bad. And I do not know if the ice level sensor is in the ice maker or the rear auger unit? From what I can find on line so far, the ice maker on this older model is a common issue.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Here is the model/serial no if needed

Thanks

John

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi John,

On these Samsung models the water inlet valve is located where the filter housing is at.

Here it is for your model:
DA97-11433A Assy Case-Water Filter TANK

I haven't replaced one of these on any Samsung models, but this may help in post#4 here:

Jake

Retired JohnB

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

Getting back to you. First off, thank you very much for the info on the water valve. I had thought the valve was on the back of the fridge, but that may more be the newer ones from what I could find. That also explains why I could not find the water valve on the parts diagram as I was looking in the back for it.

I made it to my daughters and first tested the ice maker. Pressed the test button on the side and nothing happened. The manual stated on this model the system should make chime sounds and then to release the button. I did not get any sounds when testing the old ice maker.

I installed a new ice maker, did the test button and after about 20 to 30 seconds the door started to chime. This was a positive sign. But I did not hear anything going on with the ice maker, no water and no movement. I started digging in the cold cuts cabinet for the water valve as you directed. I could see what looked like the valve through vents slots. I started taking the screws in the recessed holes in the side panels off to get to test the valve, but then I heard the valve click and water start filling in the ice maker. Yes! I assume the system needs some level of time since power up before it recognizes the low ice level and starts making new ice.

Since it takes more time for the ice to freeze then I had, I told my daughter to report back if it works or not and we will go to plan B. For the last 5 days is has been making ice like it should. Something went wrong inside the ice maker unit itself and the new unit corrected that. All is good for now.

Thanks again for your prompt response. I had the needed info in time before I started into the troubleshooting effort. The time you spend helping us is greatly appreciated.

John

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent John, Glad to hear the new ice maker fixed it. (y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake