• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

RFG297HDRS/XAA-01 Samsung Defrost issue

ATV4FUN

Model Number
RFG297HDRS/XAA
Brand
Samsung
Model: RFG297HDRS/XAA REV:01
Issue: over time ice builds up in the left centre vent/circulation holes inside the rear of the fridge. If left long enough, this will result in ice forming in the fridge.
I have replaced the defrost temp sensor, but the problem persists. No error codes displayed. When I replaced the sensor, the foam backing was laden with ice. I defrosted the foam and made sure all the circulation paths were clear before reassembling. The fridge was purchased in 2012 and worked fine for several years. Our area is prone to occasional electrical outages/brown outs. Ice maker and main board have been replaced. Surge protector was added to the outlet where the fridge is plugged in. I can do a manual defrost and that seems to work ok. I can see a reduction in the ice buildup in the circulation opening. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
If manual defrost works fine then that indicates the control board is the problem because your defrost sensor and defrost are good in manual defrost.

The control board is not working properly because its not telling the refrigerator to go into a automatic defrost cycle on its own.

Here's the control board for your model:

Jake

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.