FIXED Rheem AC will not start

friarbarb

Premium Member
Model Number
Rheem
Brand
-major brand-
Turned on my Rheem AC unit today and the outside unit does not start. The fan on the inside unit runs, as does the furnace. Any help on trouble shooting appreciated.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Possibly a bad Contactor: Condensing Unit Does Not Run - Repair Parts - RepairClinic.com

Cause 5:

The furnace control board sends 24 Volts to the contactor. When the contactor receives the signal from the control board, it closes the circuit, sending voltage to the condensing unit components. If the contactor is defective, it will not provide voltage to the condensing unit. To determine if the contactor is at fault, use a multimeter to check for 24 Volts at the low voltage side of the contactor. If 24 Volts is present but the compressor and condenser fan motor still won’t run, replace the contactor.

Jake

friarbarb

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

Thanks for the response.

I do think you're correct in that the issue is a faulty contactor. I replaced the old timey thermostat with a digital and though the furnace and fan run, no go on the AC. ( I needed to replace the thermostat anyhow)

I did remove the covering over the outside AC unit, looked for anything loose or burned and everything, although old, seemed ok.

With power on and the thermostat still set to cool, the outside AC unit fired up after a few seconds. Then I noticed the Contactor was making "contact" intermittently. I turned power off, inspected the contactor and noticed pitting and burned contacts.

So, I am going to replace this component. And, being that the HVAC is about 10-12 years old, might think about replacing the whole system, but if I can get another summer out of the system that would be good.

My model is a Rheem RALB 030JAZ

Thanks for the help!! Sorry if I posted this in a closed thread.

Robert

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I turned power off, inspected the contactor and noticed pitting and burned contacts.
Yup, sounds like a new contactor will fix it then.:)

I wasn't able to pull up that model number to link you to the contactor for your model. But you can go to a HVAC parts supply company in your area and they should be able to find it and sell it to you.

Jake

friarbarb

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

Just wanted to let all know I replaced the contactor and the AC unit is working fine. I got the new contactor locally for $6. The wiring was the same except for 2 wires, but I was able to find a website with wiring pictures .
Thanks again!!!!!

Robert

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Robert, good job.:)

Thanks for the update!

Jake