• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Rheem furnace won't turn on

Randwulf922

Premium Member
Model Number
RCDG-10EAMER
About two weeks ago now, my wife turned on the heat for the first time, and it worked initially. At some point in the night, the lights flickered and I heard my UPS warning trigger. After that, we couldn't get it to turn on. The A/C and fan work just fine.

We had problems with the system about four years ago and I replaced the board and capacitor (because it was leaking something).

So, I figured I'd purchase a new board (it was an economy board I found on Amazon, which was the same as last time), and install it. When I put it in, I applied power and saw the LEDs light up. When I asked my wife to turn the fan on, it shorted the board out right at the fan connection.

I put the old board back in, and the A/C and fan worked, but still no furnace.

Today, I purchased the Rheem replacement board and installed it. This time when I applied power, I didn't see the LEDs light up, and there was a light hum that I wasn't sure I recognized. After a few seconds the pitch of the hum changed and the transformer blew.

I've turned off power to the unit for now.

The Rheem is a model RCDG-10EAMER
The control board is a 62-24084-82
The transformer is 46-22691-01

What are my current options?

Randwulf922

Premium Member
Well, I figured out why the transformer blew. The 24V side has 2 yellow wires, and I got them crossed, and that model doesn't have a fuse either. I purchased a new transformer that is the replacement model (46-22863-04) for my old one. It has a red and a yellow wire, and there is a fuse on the red lead.

After installing it, and reconnecting everything, I powered the system back on. I had my wife turn on the fan and that worked, but when I had her switch it to heat, it still wouldn't come on. She then swapped batteries in the thermostat and did it again. Then the heat came on. Swapping batteries is something I tried early on, which is why I headed down this whole path. So, now I'm not sure if it's the new board or just batteries.

I plan on swapping the old board back in to test later this week to test, but for now, I'm going to enjoy some heat.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sounds good, thanks for the update!

Jake