• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake

Right fuse for NN-ST479S? Value and material?

yournate

Premium Member
Model Number
NN-ST479S
Brand
Panasonic
Hi guys,
I am really impressed with the amount of knowledge circling around here :)

I've just bought a used Panasonic NN-ST479S as my old noname one finally gave up after ten years.
I was told that the fuse keeps blowing on this new one but other than that is fine.

As it came with the lid loose and some screws missing I was a bit worried but it looks OK.
It came with a blown 6A normal ceramic fuse. As I only had 5A, 10A and 13A (UK) plug fuses and a 3.15A glass one I used the latter (no laughing!!!)

After changing it the microwave came to life and boiled a glass of water on MEDIUM heat.
When I choose the Rice/Pasta option it blew the 3.15A fuse (shut up! I've said no laughing!)
After changing it to a new 3.15A fuse it cooked 150g rice in 14mins on MEDIUM heat (no Rice/Pasta option)

So the microwave seems to work OK on Medium heat and obviously I need a higher value fuse for normal operation.

I have two questions:
1) as it came with a 6A fuse (and I really doubt that it's the correct value) I don't know what amperage fuse to use AND should it be glass, ceramic or something special as printed on the PCB: "special fuse"? I guess I need something 15-20A but I could not find a model specific clue.

2) if I put the right fuse in and it still blows it on High heat then what should I check?

Sorry for the long post and thanks for the help

yournate

Premium Member
Thanks Rick and Jeff,

I could not find it myself either hence I came here.
I think I can play safe with Rick's suggestion and try a 20A even though this side of the pond everything is twice as (good) high - even the current :D

I will buy a 20A today and report back.

Thanks again

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
The fuse holder area often has a small tag/sticker that may have the fuse size printed on it.

jeff.

yournate

Premium Member
That was the first thing I checked actually - the words "special fuse" are printed on the PCB only, no values. Life would just be too easy probably...

yournate

Premium Member
Solved

Hi guys,

I was quite busy last week but by Friday I have managed to buy a 10A time delay fuse (that was the highest Amp available in 20mm size) and everything was working just fine even the High and Turbo mode as well. This Wednesday I received the 20A fuse from eBay and replaced the 10A one.

So all in all everything looks good and I have a brand new £160 microwave for £9 (plus £11 postage) plus a price of a fuse :eagerness:

Thanks for the help!

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Glad all is good :)

jeff.