• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake

RMW1112 RCA Microwave suddenly making knocking sound

trooper1954

Premium Member
Model Number
RMW1112
Brand
Hi,

I have a two year old microwave that suddenly has started making a knocking sound in operation. If I remove the glass dish on which you place the food, the knocking disappears. Any one any idea what causes this and if its fixable? I suspect a bearing, but surely with limited use it should last more than two years?
Thanks,

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Motor or turntable coupling?

Any one any idea what causes this
There aren't too many parts associated with the turntable, the motor under the unit, the 'coupling' between the motor and tray and the tray itself.

It could be caused by an internal problem in the motor or the coupling slipping on the motor shaft or the tray slipping on the coupling. The tray itself probably isn't the cause.

and if its fixable?
If you can isolate the cause and locate replacement parts, it could be repairable. These cheap microwaves are however often difficult to find replacement parts for so bare that in mind. That's where the term 'throw away appliances' comes from.

If just the coupling was slipping on the motor shaft, if it couldn't be replaced it might be able to be glued or epoxied. The bottom line is soneone will actually need to look into it to determine the cause and what is required to correct it.

I suspect a bearing
There isn't usually anything like that in the tray mechanism.

surely with limited use it should last more than two years?
Things break even within the first year warranty. Small, inexpensive appliances can be even worse.

JMO

Dan O.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Tray rollers

I forgot, there could also be the tray support ring. That ring has rollers which could be worn or might just have picked up some stray food residue which caused one or more of the rollers to not be totally round any longer.

roller ring.jpg

Inspect the tray support rollers. Maybe they just need to be cleaned?

Dan O.