• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Roper Fridge sitting 2 yrs, not getting cold

manuel

Premium Member
Model Number
RT18DKXKQ00
Brand
Roper
Hello, hello.
I have a fridge that looks like new but its been sitting 2 yrs. The fans and compressor run but the coil does not get cold enough. Its barely cold to the touch. Obviously the fridge does not cool.

The only work on it from my end is removing the water intake control that feeds the ice maker. I have the ice maker metal arm in the off position.
Please help, :eek:

manuel

Premium Member
Update: I disconnected and removed the ice maker in the freezer section. Inspection revealed a small hole in the coil inside the freezer section. How do I go about sealing the hole and refilling the system with coolant?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Doing compressor or sealed system work like fixing a leak requires you to have a turbo torch, acetylene for the torch, knowledge of how to use and weld with a turbo torch, the proper amount of R-134a(OR R12) to use, changing the Filter Drier as well, solder, flux, silfloss, sandpaper, etc.

The EPA now requires you to have a license to even do this work now when dealing with freon, I got mine in 1994 when the law went into effect.

Jake

manuel

Premium Member
Doing compressor or sealed system work like fixing a leak requires you to have a turbo torch, gas for the torch, knowledge of how to use and weld with a turbo torch, the proper amount of R-134a(OR R12) to use, changing the Filter Drier as well, solder, flux, silfloss, sandpaper, etc.

The EPA now requires you to have a license to even do this work now when dealing with freon, I got mine in 1994 when the law went into effect.

Jake
I decided to junk the fridge. I kept the crispers, shelves, handles, fan motors, etc, if anyone needs a part.