Roper RED4640YQ0 will no longer stop automatically

jgrayco

Premium Member
Model Number
RED4640YQ0
Brand
Roper
I have a 5-year-old Roper RED4640YQ0, and recently it stopped automatically stopping no matter the setting. I have replaced every sensor under the back panel as well as the timer, and it still won't stop automatically. It has come to the point where we have to set timers on our phones to keep from blowing the thermal fuse. Is there a sensor I don't know about? or what can I do so the dryer will stop automatically on the settings. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
... it stopped automatically stopping no matter the setting.
That's a basic dryer so it should be easy to figure out especially with all the new parts. First check the element with a meter and see if it's shorted to ground. It might be touching the housing. Set the timer on timed dry about 40 minutes then unplug the machine. Use a meter to check if the following contacts are closed on the timer: TM-OR and T-W.

jgrayco

Premium Member
TM-OR and T-W? What cables are those... my timer doesn't have any terminal labeled as such.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Take a photo of them too please and upload it here.

I just found the wiring diagram.

Jake

Attachments

jgrayco

Premium Member
Check all three of those, have a closed-loop on all three. The heating element is aligned properly. I am attaching photos of the timer, and all three sensors. Is there another sensor I am not aware of somewhere else? or is it just those three?

Attachments

rickgburton

Staff member
I think your timer is bad. Disconnect the timer motor connector. Set your meter to measure VAC and insert your meter leads in the connector (one in each wire). The timer motor runs on 220 VAC. Turn the timer from the off position to the timed dry 60 minutes position. Your meter should indicate 220 VAC. Slowly turn the timer knob from 60 to cool down then off and check the voltage remains 220 VAC.

jgrayco

Premium Member
The motor connector, which labels are those. and to be clear this needs to be done with the dryer plugged in, correct? I will give that a try this evening.

rickgburton

Staff member
On the timed dry cycle the timer motor advances the timer cam from 60 minutes to off with 220V AC constant at the timer motor.
2020-01-14 23.18.28_001.jpg

jgrayco

Premium Member
I tried the above, No reading on the multimeter tested both the old-timer and the new timer that I just got a week ago, same on both.

The motor still ran, was that supposed to happen? So the timer is the issue?

rickgburton

Staff member
OK, so there's no voltage going to the timer motor. Measure the voltage between "F" and "B". If the voltage is still 0V measure between "B" and L2 (power cord connection). Make sure the timer is set to timed dry about 50 minutes.

jgrayco

Premium Member
between F and B getting a reading of about 240 constant. I don't see an L2... I am assuming L2 is A, as that is the power cord, right? If L2 is A, then there is no reading between A and B.

jgrayco

Premium Member
Something else for your information. On timed dry, the timer moves. I just set it to 40 minutes as I needed to dry some clothes. It moves slightly (10 degrees) past the 20 mark, and then won't move again. What is happening in the "Cooldown" time to indicate to the dryer it is time to stop? Because that seems to be what the issue is.

Attachments

rickgburton

Staff member

jgrayco

Premium Member
Dude, you keep changing these terminals on me... across B and F I have a 230 reading, Across B and T I have a 230 reading...
Between B and L2 I Have a 230 reading... I am getting more and more confused with these inconsistent replies and what I need to test.

rickgburton

Staff member
I haven't changed anything. In the picture I circled the timer motor connection. Did you disconnect the connector and insert the meter leads in the connector? You said you did:
I tried the above, No reading on the multimeter
The black wire in the connector goes to "B" on the timer. The white/blue wire in the connector goes to "T" on the timer.
Across B and T I have a 230 reading
So now you're saying you do have 220V AC at the timer motor??