• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)
  • Important Announcement

It's with sad news to announce that our site owner, Jake, has passed away. You can read the details here.

Roper washer agitates, but won't spin

Keith172

Premium Member
Model Number
RTW4440VQ2
Hello there! I'm trying to help my sister with a Roper washer issue. The washer will fill, agitate, drain and rinse without issue. It will not spin. After searching the net for solutions, I tried replacing the clutch. After replacement, the washer would only spin if she lifted the lid, grabbed the top of the agitator and moved it back to front a few times. This worked for a little while, but has now stopped getting it to spin. I don't want her to have to spend a fortune on parts to fix this, so any thoughts?

A little background;
  • Her basement occasionally floods with brackish water, sometimes up to 2 feet deep. After discovering this, when she expects a flood, she bags the washer (and dryer) from the bottom up with heavy duty bags. However, I'm fairly certain the washer has been wet underneath since the transmission case is completely covered in rust.
  • When I replaced the clutch, I didn't see any broken plastic bits under the washer that some people have stated indicates a broken coupler, but I'm not ruling it out.
  • When I stopped by today to try an old washer in her basement to see if she could use it in the meantime, I noticed that when I moved the Roper washer, there was a bit of water in the bottom of the basket. Enough for it to make sloshing noises. Is that normal?

Thanks!

I noticed that when I moved the Roper washer, there was a bit of water in the bottom of the basket. Enough for it to make sloshing noises. Is that normal?
Did you actually see the water in the tub? Or just heard the slushing sound? Because the top tub ring had liquid in it for balancing, that's normal.

The problem your having sounds like a bad transmission(gearcase).

Here's the gearcase for your model you can order here(Install video included):
Whirlpool 3360629 Neutral Drain Transmission - AppliancePartsPros.com

Jake

Hi Jake, thanks for the quick response!

As its a bit dark in her basement, I can't say for certain whether there was water in the tub or not, but that sounds like a reasonable explanation.

I forgot to mention in my first post that the washer could spin without clothes in it before I replaced the clutch.

Is there any way to test the transmission prior to ordering a new one? I can't imagine that this washer cost too much more than the price of a transmission and I'd hate to start her down the road of eventually replacing every component on this thing if she'd be better off getting a new one.

From what you said here:
I tried replacing the clutch. After replacement, the washer would only spin if she lifted the lid, grabbed the top of the agitator and moved it back to front a few times. This worked for a little while, but has now stopped getting it to spin.
and here:
I'm fairly certain the washer has been wet underneath since the transmission case is completely covered in rust.

That tells me the gear inside the gearcase is not switching it to spin, and rust is a major factor to that.

Isn't there any way to put the washer on something higher in case your sister keeps getting the basement flooding? this problem is just going to continue on even with a new gearcase if its not protected against the flood waters.

These new washers are not built as strong as the old reliable ones from the 1970's.

Jake

Users who are viewing this thread

Support Our Site

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation, please consider making a donation.

Back