• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED RS261MDWP Samsung icemaker makes ice really slow

Jasonrusso

Premium Member
Model Number
RS261MDWP
Brand
Samsung
I have a Samsung refrigerator RS261MDWP. It makes ice cubes very slowly. I have confirmed that the temperature is fine, it gets down to 1.4 degrees F. I also know that these refrigerators have all sorts of icemaker problems.

The ice maker works. It dumps the ice and fills up when I press the reset button. The ice cubes are fine, they are the correct size. The water dispenser works fine so I don't think it is a water pressure issue. Using the Power Freeze function does not change anything either. I also shut the power off for 10 minutes to reset the refrigerator.

My only thought is that whatever timer controls the icemaker is malfunctioning. It DOES dump ice, just at very long intervals. I believe it's supposed to dump every 90 minutes and 50 minutes on power freeze.

Jasonrusso

Premium Member
This document says it needs to get down to under 1.5 degrees. Mine gets to 1.4 degrees, is it maybe not getting cold enough?

Attachments

• RS261MD Fast Track R2.pdf
    650.3 KB · Views: 25

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Mine gets to 1.4 degrees, is it maybe not getting cold enough?
Monitor the temperature to see if it stays at 1.5 degrees and under constantly, if so then the problem is the ice maker.

Here's the ice maker for your model:
Ice Maker Assembly DA97-08059A

There is a HOW TO video in the ice maker part link.

Let us know how it goes.

Jake

Jasonrusso

Premium Member
Last night I finally had time to properly diagnose it. The 1.5 degrees for 5 minutes to dump the ice was the key. It was having a hard time getting to 1.5 degrees, so I knew it wasn't staying there for 5 minutes.

The coil wasn't very dirty and the fan was working, so that wasn't it. I tested the sensor voltage drop and compared it to the chart and it was accurate.

I've had icing problems before, so I pulled the back of the freezer off and it was iced up solid. Similar to the picture below, but worse. The manual says that this indicates a faulty defrost sensor. I tested the sensor voltage and it was reading 100+ degrees, so yes. It was faulty. Thankfully I had a spare sensor that I ordered a while ago when I was having icing problems. I swapped out the sensor and it read a more reasonable temperature. I cleaned out all the ice and reinstalled.

This morning the freezer was -14 degrees and the ice dumped 5 times. 😁😁 Hopefully this also takes care of my icing problem.

I'm not sure of the defrost logic. Does the refrigerator defrost during time intervals or does the defroster temperature sensor need to read a particular temperature (high or low) to trigger a defrost. Basically, what is the point of the sensor? Is it to confirm a defrost cycle or to trigger one?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201230-113740.jpg
    Screenshot_20201230-113740.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 23

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, glad the new defrost sensor fixed it.(y)

Here's the defrost sensor for your model in case others need it too:
DA32-10109W Temperature Sensor

I'm not sure of the defrost logic. Does the refrigerator defrost during time intervals or does the defroster temperature sensor need to read a particular temperature (high or low) to trigger a defrost. Basically, what is the point of the sensor? Is it to confirm a defrost cycle or to trigger one?
I don't know either, that service manual is very vague about that.

Jake

Jasonrusso

Premium Member
I don't really care how it works........as long as it does. Apparently, the overall design of Samsung refrigerators sucks. I truly hate this refrigerator, but I am too stubborn to throw in the towel!!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Apparently, the overall design of Samsung refrigerators sucks.
I couldn't agree more.:)

All us techs here recommend Whirlpool, Maytag, KitchenAid, Amana for the most reliable refrigerator.

Samsung and LG make good smartphones and TV's, but not major home appliances.

Jake

Jasonrusso

Premium Member
So everything has been working great for the last 2 weeks. The ice is made quickly and the bucket is always full 😊. I also like that it isn't running CONSTANTLY so hopefully I will see that reflected in my electric bill.

I bought a wireless thermometer so I can monitor for problems. This seems to be the sweet spot for the settings. To be honest, the freezer temperature doesn't change much with the settings, but the refrigerator side did. Do these temperatures seem right?

The freezer temp seems like a large swing, but I thought that may be that when it is defrosting? I mean 10 degrees F is still freezing, so I am not concerned. Also, it is making ice quickly so I don't think I should mess with it.

I put the fridge to 3 bars, and it got up to 45 degrees. 4 seems to be a good place. 42 is a bit high, but it spends most of the day under 40. That's also the air temp, so I would think that the product in the fridge would hold temperature better.

All in all I seems fine, I'm a bit miffed it was because of a $6 temp sensor that probably cost me thousands in electricity costs over the years.

Right now I don't hate this fridge, but I am hesitant to warm up to it (pun intended)

Attachments

• 16105775034754135871959065925322.jpg
    16105775034754135871959065925322.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 16105775183346314928515279976244.jpg
    16105775183346314928515279976244.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 10

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The freezer section should be between 0 to 10 degrees, if you turn the freezer to a colder setting does it go to 0 to 5 degrees?

Same with the frig, if you set it colder goes it go colder? Normal for the frig section is 36 to 40 degrees.

Jake