• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

RSG257AARS Samsung Refrigerator - Freezer not getting Cold

Underemployed

Premium Member
Model Number
RSG257AARS
Brand
Samsung
Hi
I have a RSG257AARS Samsung Refrigerator and past few days i am noticing that the freezer does not get cold. i have tried the power freeze and tried putting the freezer temperature at -8 but does not seem to work
It is cold but definitely not freezer cold. All my frozen vegetables and berries have become mushy and i had to cook all the frozen fish and meat due to this.

I have received very helpful advice on this forum in regards to this model before and i am hoping someone can point me the right direction so i can try a few things before calling a repair guy

thanks for your help

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Do you hear the fan running inside the freezer?

Is there frost build-up on the back panel inside the freezer?

Pull the refrigerator out from the wall, then remove the lower bottom access panel and see if the condenser fan motor is running, it mounts next to the compressor.

Jake

Underemployed

Premium Member
Thanks Jake. i do not hear the fan running inside the freezer. i will check if there is any frost build up .. do you by chance have a manual or some sort of figures i can look at. sorry i am just not very handy and just want to make sure that i do the right thing ... thanks for all the help

Underemployed

Premium Member
ALso should i just check on the outside of the refrigerator panel or open the evaporator freezer cover as well?
Thanks

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, remove the back panel inside the freezer and take a photo of your evaporator coil so we can see the frost pattern on the evaporator coil.

Here's the service manual: https://www.dropbox.com/s/iq5jd29ko7s8r0i/Disassembly.pdf?dl=0

Page 13 and Page 14 tell you how to remove that back panel inside the freezer.

Jake

Underemployed

Premium Member
Hi Jake
Attached are a few images after i removed the evap cover in the freezer section. did not see any obvious build up. thx for all your help

Attachments

• 20211213_183231.jpg
    20211213_183231.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 65
  • 20211213_182934.jpg
    20211213_182934.jpg
    360.5 KB · Views: 69
  • 20211213_182926.jpg
    20211213_182926.jpg
    456.9 KB · Views: 68

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, I see the photos, thanks!

Now, Pull the refrigerator out from the wall, then remove the lower bottom access panel and see if the condenser fan motor is running, it mounts next to the compressor and put your had on the top of the compressor and see if that is running as well.

Jake

Underemployed

Premium Member
Hi Jake
So I got a technician to look at the issue. Apparently the refrigerator coil had an issue and the gas leaked. so the freezer stopped working first and he said that in a few days the refrigerator side would have stopped working as well. he filled the gas and all is working well now. He quoted me $650 to replace both the freezer and refrigerator coils ($150 each) and the labor.
i am contemplating if i should go this route and get a few more years or bite the bullet now and replace the refrigerator all together/
Any insights?
The refrigerator came with the house so its between 6 and 9 years old.
Thanks

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
$650 is too much to put into a refrigerator that old.

Refrigerators average life is only 8-12 years now, the good old days of 20-30 years are long gone.

Time to go refrigerator shopping IMO.:)

Jake

dcrsx

To make sure I am reading this right, I pulled the back panel and the compressor fan starts to run shortly after being plugged in, the compressor tank is pretty warm to the touch and the coils in the freezer have absolutely no frost on them, meaning the sealed system is failed?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
To make sure I am reading this right, I pulled the back panel and the compressor fan starts to run shortly after being plugged in, the compressor tank is pretty warm to the touch and the coils in the freezer have absolutely no frost on them, meaning the sealed system is failed?
Yes, if the compressor and condenser fan motor that's mounts next to the compressor are both running and you are getting no cooling, then that's a sealed system problem.

The sealed system consists of the compressor, condenser, evaporator, heat exchanger, filter/drier and refrigerant. Common problems with a sealed system are bad compressors, refrigerant leaks, and system restrictions.

Sealed system repair costs will often exceed the machines value.

Jake