RTC17A Maytag freezer does not freeze

Lorne

Premium Member
Model Number
RTC17A
Brand
Maytag
My freezer is acting up again. It doesn't freeze. Recently I dismantled it and melted the ice blockage and it seemed fine for about 10 days. My question is do I need to replace the defrost heater or the defrost thermostat? I checked the heater for continuity recently and it was fine. The serial number is 050642-BB if that helps. Thank you.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
If you removed all the ice and frost from the evaporator and reassembled it (installed the evaporator cover) and it's been running for 10 days and not freezing, it won't have anything to do with the defrost system. Can you describe the frost pattern on the evaporator? Or take a pic and post it here.

Lorne

Premium Member
If you removed all the ice and frost from the evaporator and reassembled it (installed the evaporator cover) and it's been running for 10 days and not freezing, it won't have anything to do with the defrost system. Can you describe the frost pattern on the evaporator? Or take a pic and post it here.
Hi Rick. It worked fine for a couple of days and then the frost started to accumulate on the bottom of the freezer. This is a top freezer and I need to remove both doors. The styrofoam was frozen to the evaporator top so I assume there was more ice than in the photo I sent.

Attachments

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Sorry Lorne, I don't know how I missed that. That definitely looks like a defrost problem. The defrost timer is behind the machine by the compressor. While the machine is plugged in and running, slowly rotate the timer knob clockwise one click at a time until the machine turns off. If the defrost thermostat is closed the defrost heater will turn on. Check the defrost thermostat for continuity while it's covered in frost. It needs to be below 45°F to show continuity. If the heater turns on or if the heater and thermostat check good for continuity, replace the defrost timer. You need to completely defrost the evaporator so all the frost and ice is gone. Make sure all the water drains out of the drain tube. If the styrofoam top piece is falling apart or deteriorating wrap it with tin foil. Use a hair dryer to defrost it. When all the frost is gone keep the hair dryer on the coils for an extra ten minutes to dry it out