• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

RTD2300D Maytag top freezer fridge - only freezer is cold

WWinslow09

Premium Member
Model Number
RTD2300D
Brand
Maytag
I have an urgent need for your help. I have a 26 yo. Maytag RTD2300 refrigerator with top freezer that is well cared for (photo attached). Last weekend it began running without turning off and ice cream was extremely frozen like a brick. As a first step, we completely cleaned the coils, fan, and all areas behind and under refrigerator but this did not help.
Yesterday, I had a serviceman visit who said the evaporator is under the freezer compartment floor panel and is probably not defrosting as there was some frost on the refrigerator compartment ceiling. But the lower refrigerator compartment was 61 degrees F. He struggled and had no idea how to remove the freezer bottom panel to examine the evaporator, defrost heater, etc.

My sister replaced a defrost heater on her side-by-side Maytag last year and feels confident that we could replace mine, if that is needed. She has a multimeter to test it. In my preliminary research, I believe the defrost heater replacement part is WP60106-36. I am attaching freezer compartment photos and have two urgent questions:
  1. Is the defrost heater part available, if that is the problem?
  2. Can you tell me how to remove the freezer floor panel to access that area? Do both doors need to be removed? On your site, I saw a Rick G Burton answer to someone else in Sept. 2019 but that Maytag top freezer looked a bit different. I need very detailed instructions or a video.
Please answer as soon as possible because I need to act quickly on this problem. Thank you so much.

Attachments

• IMG_1185.JPG
    IMG_1185.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_1179.JPG
    IMG_1179.JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1184.JPG
    IMG_1184.JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 48

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
I have not personally worked on that refrigerator design but have been told it is an (unnecessarily) big job to access the area. While not for your exact model this previous message thread shows what is necessary on a similar model. I don't know how handy you are but you might ask your technician to look at the message and see if they're up to trying it.

And no, I do not know where you'll find a service manual or video of that particular repair nor what search terms to use to look for one. Sorry.

Good luck!

Dan O.

WWinslow09

Premium Member
Thanks very much for your prompt reply. In the message I posted, I mentioned having seen the message thread you made reference to. Is there any colleague you can contact who has been able to get into that area and give me some details on how to proceed?

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
I do not know anyone that can give you step by step instructions, no. If you want to call a different technician, a Maytag *factory authored* service depot might be most familiar with performing that job. They however will likely not instruct you how to do it either.

Dan O.

WWinslow09

Premium Member
Thanks again for your advice. I've taken very good care of this refrigerator all these years and I want to make every effort to repair it.

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.