• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED RTW4516FW1 Roper Washer - Loud sound with filling, ok for rinse cycle filling

Howdee

Premium Member
Model Number
RTW4516FW1
Brand
Roper
When the Roper started filling, with “sensing” light on , it would start/stop/start water flow with a loud sound between each filling period.

I had to stop it due to neighbors. So, it started draining automatically because I left the lid open too long. The draining seemed quite noisy, as well. I cancelled the draining.
Left it sit a bit, now I selected rinse & spin. The water filling sound was gone. On rinse, it filled fine.

Is the sensing mechanism the issue for the initial water filling since the rinse & drain filling was fine?

It also makes a pretty loud “wha whaa, wha whaa” sound during agitation. Spin was fine just need a little bit of leveling.

Thank you!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Can you please make a video of those sounds when it fills?

For the wha whaa sound does it sound like this video:

If so, it's the splutch cam underneath the washer that's gone bad.

There is another video here with the same noise and you can see the new splutch cam kit fixed it:

Here's the splutch cam kit for your model:
W10721967 Splutch Cam Kit

There is a Video included in the part link that shows how to remove it and replace it.

Jake

Howdee

Premium Member
Sound may be a little better now. Is this a normal sound for filling with sensing?

First one is filling sound. Second one is washing sound.

I have no prior experience with this washing machine. It was gifted to me and just moved to my apartment.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, both videos sound normal to me. I don't hear that grinding anymore like in your post #2 video.

Did you replace the splutch cam kit?

Jake

Howdee

Premium Member
No. Maybe it just needed to settle after being moved. Thank you, Jake!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Let's hope so.:)

Jake