Ruud Pacemaker - Low pressure but hot water..please help

bobbyp68

Premium Member
Model Number
P2-40f1
Brand
-brand-
Hi, I was hoping to get some thoughts on my hot water problem. I have a 2005 Ruud Pacemaker 40 gal gas water heater(p2-40fl). Over a the last month i have noticed certain times where the hot water running out of the facets is coming out with very low volume/pressure. The water that does come out is plenty hot so I can take a shower just fine. About 20 mins after the shower I can run the hot water faucet and flow and pressure are normal. Nothing ran prior to the shower I just took. Now, this week, I am noticing that this low flow is more consistently occurring. There doesn't appear to be any recovery like I described before. The water coming out is still hot. The only thing i have done since noticing this problem was to drain the tank and refill. Didn't notice an large amount of sediment being flushed. Just wondering how I can trouble shoot this? Any ideas? Thanks.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

You may have compressed air in the tank, this sometimes happens after you drain and refill it.

What you need to do is a pressure flush.

Here's how: Turn cold water off, set control to pilot for gas, or power off for electric. Now, open the drain valve and let the tank drain all the way down. Then close the drain valve. Open the cold-water valve until you can no longer hear water flowing.

Now what you have is a tank about two-thirds full of water, with air compressed down to about one-third its original volume. When you open the drain valve to flush, it will flush at full force until the last of the compressed air is gone.

Jake