• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Saga of Samsung washer WA422PRHDWR/AA continues

Barry O'Brien

Premium Member
Model Number
WA422PRHDWR
Brand
Samsung
This is effectively a bump of this thread: Samsung washer model WA422PRHDWR/AA stuck in spin cycle

I wanted to tinker with it a bit more, and I took off the pump assembly, which seemed to be the cause of most of my problems. Sometimes it would drain fine, sometimes not. I thought something might be stuck inside, and I replaced the pump in 2015, so I figured it wasn't the pump.

So, I took the pump off, took the impeller case off and it seems fine, it turns ok and no clogs. So then I hooked up an e-meter to the power inputs to the pump to see if it was receiving power, and I'll be damned if it was. So, it seems like the control board is sending power to the pump as per normal, but the pump doesn't seem to be working.

Thing is, it's a fairly simple A/C motor. power goes in one end, induces a magnetic field that runs the pump. There's not really a lot of things on it that can break. And the impeller turns freely.

Could it be the pump after all? Do pumps go bad after 3 years..........again? I guess I bought the first on in 2012, and replaced it in 2015, and here I am 4 years later, but 4 years for a washer pump that I use twice a weeks seems abysmally poor.

Trick is, the memorial day sales are going to expire next week, and if I can't fix it AND I miss the sale prices on new ones, I'm going to be slightly miffed.

Any thoughts? Just get a new pump?

*Update*

I plugged in the electrical leads halfway onto the prongs on the pump, and hooked up the e-meter to the pump electrical prongs while plugged in, and I couldn't read any electrical potential between the prongs. Then I unplugged the pump motor, and got a solid voltage reading on the power leads from the control board.

Does this mean there is a lack of continuity in the pump, which would mean it is busted?

Last edited:

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Actually it's quite simple. 120 VAC at the pump, pump doesn't run, bad pump.

Unfortunately this one is no longer available:
DC97-16985A
samsung-assy-pump-drain-dc97-16985a-ap5669334_02_m.jpg

rickgburton

Staff member
They don't look the same to me but if you say it will work I'll believe you.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Anytime Rick.:)

Jake

Barry O'Brien

Premium Member
Yup, the entire drain pump assembly and mounting bracket was replaced - I did that job about 4 years ago. Which has surprised me a bit, I thought a pump would last more than 4 years. But power was definitely going to pump (even zapped myself a bit to make sure), but the pump didn't do anything.

Barry O'Brien

Premium Member
Ok, 2nd new control board in, new pump in, $400 in the hole and been doing laundry by hand for 2 weeks and have absolutely nothing to show for it. Zero change or improvement. Going to keep throwing good money after bad and call a repairman to diagnose it, and if he can't figure it out I'm buying a new one, I'm tired of this shit.

rickgburton

Staff member
You just installed a new pump and it's not working? Read Post#2 again. Where are you getting these pumps??

Barry O'Brien said:
Going to keep throwing good money after bad......

Why?? This machine is obviously frustrating the hell out of you. Just buy a new machine and be done with it. I don't recommend Samsung or LG.

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.