• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Samsung Dryer DV42H5000EW/AC - shows that it's running but it's not.

coolguy346

Premium Member
Model Number
DV42H5000EW/AC
Brand
Samsung
It acts normally to the point where i hit start. Then it shows it's running by having the "running" arrow flash, but there is no heat, spin, or air.

I have taken it apart and check the belt switch, thermal fuse, and element and all check out. I watched a video that said to test the motor at the leads with blue and black wires on the motor (see pic 1), this shows 0.00 ohms which I think is too low so this makes me think it is the motor.

However I also removed the plug on the control board that I think provides power to the blower etc, and there was no voltage there when running. I am not 100% certain that I used the correct connector though. I tested after removing the largest connector with black and blue wires in pic 2 below.

I have gone ahead and ordered a new control board and a new motor but if someone here can let me know which is the issue it would be helpful because I can replace that first and then just keep the other item as a spare or maybe return or resell it.

Attachments

• 1614794869291.png
    1614794869291.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 24
  • 1614794898646.png
    1614794898646.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 22

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Did you check to make sure you have the proper voltage to the dryer? Check for broken wires too where the power cord connects to your dryer.:)

Look at my post #2 here:

Jake

coolguy346

Premium Member
This dryer is now working sporadically, after working OK for a couple weeks.

E.g. today I put in one load in the morning and it ran fine for a couple cycles. Then I tried a third load and it didn't work.

I reset the breaker and tried and it still didn't work, but an hour later it worked again so I did another load. I just took that load out and put in another and now it is back to the same issue.

Any idea what this could be? A sporadic issue like this could make it hard to diagnose the components. Could it be the fuse tripping incorrectly, but when I disassemble the unit to test it the fuse is untripped?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Its possibly a electrical issue to the dryer.

Unplug the dryer and check the pigtail of the power cord to see if its loose or arcing at the terminal block of your dryer.

I see this happen a lot:
FriedWires.jpg

Intermittent problems are the hardest to nail down

Jake

coolguy346

Premium Member
Now the dryer will run but will not shut off, even if the control board is turned off! It will only stop if I open the door.

Googling seems to suggest this is a problem with the relay/control board. Do you agree? Can the relay be replaced on it's own or will I need to replace the entire board?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks for adding that new information, I definitely know the problem now is the main control board. I don't know if the relay on the control board can be replaced by-itself, as techs we don't repair at board level, we replace the entire board.

Here's the main control board for your model:

RepairClinic Ships to Canada:

Jake