• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Samsung Dryer DV42H5200EP/A3 wire to heating element melted

ss1975

Premium Member
Model Number
DV42H5200EP/A3
Brand
Samsung
Samsung dryer, less than 5 years old.
In the last year, I have replaced the motor (bad centrifugal switch), then the pulley failed. (thanks, Appliance Blog!)

Now a wire has melted from the main harness to the heating element. (See blue wire in photo).

I am wondering: should I be concerned with a larger issue causing this failure? The thermistor resistance seems to be correct w/regard to temperature.

What's the best way to safely repair? (not sure this problematic dryer is worth a $170 wire harness at this point)

Thanks for any advice.

Attachments

• IMG_20210508_103315.jpg
    IMG_20210508_103315.jpg
    348.2 KB · Views: 361
  • IMG_20210508_103536.jpg
    IMG_20210508_103536.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 161

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
There are 2 possibilities for that occurrence;

1. There was a bad connection between the wire terminal and the wire. That lead to arcing and heating of the connection leading to the eventual burning.

2. The terminal the wire was plugged onto (on the element?) was getting hot due to poor connection and that heat was transferred to the wire and its terminal causing eventual burning.

The burned wire and terminal need to be replaced and if there's any discoloration on the element terminal, the element should be replaced too. Unless all causes are corrected at the same time, the same thing will happen again. Compare the color of the element terminals. If one is darker, the element likely should be replaced.

The next problem is I doubt Samsung sells just that wire. They possibly only sell the whole wiring harness. A replacement wire could probably be fabricated by a technician but it needs really good connections or as I said, it will happen again. If you took the burned wire to a local repair shop, they could likely fabricate a replacement for you.

The second problem is I'm not certain of the size of the terminal that is burned. If it's the same standard 1/4" size as the terminal on the other end of the wire, it should be reasonably easy to make a replacement wire with such a terminals on each end. If instead the terminal on the heating element is larger as I suspect (5/16" instead of the usual 1/4"), that's going to be a problem as that size is not very common.

LINK > Samsung DV42H5200EP/A3 Heating Element

Hopefully there's a local repair shop or used appliance store near you that can fabricate a new wire with terminals for you and then replace the element if it shows signs of discoloration.

Dan O.

Last edited:

ss1975

Premium Member
There are 2 possibilities for that occurrence;

1. There was a bad connection between the wire terminal and the wire. That lead to arcing and heating of the connection leading to the eventual burning.

2. The terminal the wire was plugged onto (on the element?) was getting hot due to poor connection and that heat was transferred to the wire and its terminal causing eventual burning.

The burned wire and terminal need to be replaced and if there's any discoloration on the element terminal, the element should be replaced too. Unless all causes are corrected at the same time, the same thing will happen again. Compare the color of the element terminals. If one is darker, the element likely should be replaced.

Dan,
Thank you for your detailed response! I'll look for an appliance repair shop.
Would it be ok to make a wire nut connection to extend the wire using a product like this (link)? When I remove the damaged section there won't be much slack otherwise...

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
ss1975 said:
Would it be ok to make a wire nut connection to extend the wire using a product like this (link)?

I just found and was going to suggest that wire kit. Yes, as long as the original wire was trimmed back to an unaffected portion of wire, a wire nut should be Ok to join them.

Dan O.

Last edited:

ss1975

Premium Member
Dan,
Thank you for your detailed response! I'll look for an appliance repair shop.
Would it be ok to make a wire nut connection to extend the wire using a product like this (link)? When I remove the damaged section there won't be much slack otherwise...
actually, i notice that one has copper wire, so perhaps this one: link.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
What type of wiring is in the machine??

279457 is a Whirlpool part. As long as that is what is being sold, they should all be made the same. If they're selling some sort of aftermarket version, I don't know what it is made from. I linked to a vendor selling only the genuine Whirlpool part.

Dan O.

ss1975

Premium Member
So I repaired this using the linked part (used the linked wire part and wire nut) and replaced the heating element. Unfortunately, now the other wire has suffered the same fate. This the original wire, not a repaired wire. I can certainly perform the same repair again with the other wire, but before I do: any other root causes to consider? Safety issues?

Many thanks for help previously given.

Stephen

Attachments

• IMG_20210701_105228.jpg
    IMG_20210701_105228.jpg
    233.4 KB · Views: 141

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
The only thing that can cause heat to occur there is a loose connection. Either a poor connection between the wire and wire terminal or a poor connection between the wire terminal and whatever it is attached onto ie. the element in this case. (A poor connection between the element wire and the element terminal is also possible but very unlikely if a new OEM element was installed. With aftermarket parts that might be slightly more likely. )

All affected components must be replaced together at the same time. Putting a new wire onto a bad thermal wont usually last long. Neither will putting new element without correcting a bad wire.

Make sure all connections are secure and tight! A loose connection generates heat. Heat causes damage.

Dan O.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Only to push them on firmly, make sure that they're tight and can't be wiggled once installed. Once installed, try not to remove them again. The less they're connected and disconnected the better. Soldering shouldn't be necessary. Make sure the terminals are not discoloured before installing the wires into them. Use quality parts.

Dan O.