• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Samsung Dryer DV42H5200EW/A3 HE Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

koposcabana

Premium Member
Model Number
DV42H5200EW/A3
Brand
Samsung
Problem: Samsung dryer will run 10-30 minutes then throws error "HE". Heating element is activated and dryer does get hot.

Tested:

• Relay: Turns on when dryer is started and 120v supplied.
  • Heating Element: [Replaced - DC47-00019A] Element has clear break in continuity.
  • Thermistor: [Replaced - DC32-00007A] Was reading a little low 9.5k ohm vs expected 10-10.5k ohm at 70F.
  • Thermostat: [Replaced - DC47-00018A] Was reading 0.02ohm at room temperature, but I thought it might be failing at high end to shut off.
  • Thermal Fuse (Heating Element): Checked continuity 0.1ohm
I’ve cleaned the lint guard thoroughly and checked the internal exhaust, even so much as running it not connected to external exhaust.

Any ideas or things to try?

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Element has clear break in continuity.
Reset the circuit breakers. Sometimes when an element breaks, it touches the housing and trips the breaker for the element.

koposcabana

Premium Member
Solved! I will post the resolution here for those poor souls that may wander into the same predicament.
While continuing to test I ran into a situation that the dryer wouldn't turn on. Turns out I had blown both thermal fuses DC47-00016A and DC96-00887C. 2 new thermal fuses later, I noticed that the "newly" replaced heating element was contacting the metal grounding plate in multiple places. Bent the heating coil back such that it was now entirely suspended and voila! Dryer now runs again. I assume this was causing 1 of 2 issues contributing towards the HE error.
  1. Shorted ground to 120v.
  2. Heated the entire metal casing causing thermal overload.

gummy jones

Premium Member
Just replaced my heating element after getting the HE error and having heat even on air fluff I found the heating element was barely touching the metal it was housed in in one spot.

If you are replacing your heating element inspect it carefully first!

NellyT7

Premium Member
Is there a way to test if the thermal fuses are bad before replacing them? I've torn my dryer down and they both still have continuity but I don't know if I should be testing ohms or anything else to see if they are in fact busted.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
No worries.:)

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.