• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Samsung Dryer DV56H9100GG/A2 Motor Burning Out

BasementTech91

Premium Member
Model Number
DV56H9100GG/A2
Brand
Samsung
Hello everyone!
I've recently encountered an issue that I can't seem to figure out. My DV56H9100GG/A2 Samsung gas dryer has been "eating" motors lately. I started having this issue about a month or so ago.

The dryer, when it works, works great. I have noticed upon research that my motor was probably giving out and I'll get more into that in a minute. When I first turn the dryer on, the motor makes an awful humming noise as the drum starts to turn. About five seconds into running, it shuts down.

The thermal breaker on the motor trips and it has to cool down before firing up once more. After messing with this a few times, it MIGHT eventually fire up and run fine through its whole cycle. Just initial start-up is a problem. I decided to do some research and found that the motor is probably going bad. I purchased another motor for my unit ($200 ouch) and installed it. Dryer ran great for about a week and now I'm back to the beginning.

The "new" motor is now doing the same thing as the old one. I ripped the dryer apart last night and can see that the windings have gotten so warm that they've melted the "string" holding them together. Is there something common that I'm missing somewhere? I've looked everywhere for a solution and decided to try a forum for some help! I love this dryer for the large capacity but if it's not reliable, what's the point of keeping it?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
No, dryers don't eat motors.:)

You got a bad replacement motor, did you get it from a reputable appliance parts store? It should have a warranty on it.

I've replaced hundreds of these motors in the last 34 years as a career appliance tech and I don't ever remember replacing a motor twice on the same machine.:)

Here's the motor for your model:
samsung-motor-induction-dryer-dc31-00055j-ap5916585_01_l.jpg

I always get my parts from AppliancePartsPros and RepairClinic, Plus both of those sites come with a 365 day warranty on all parts!

Jake

BasementTech91

Premium Member
You say that but mine does! :ROFLMAO: I tried to go a little cheap on the motor replacement. I made sure to buy the correct one which matches the number you've given. The motor came from a private seller on eBay. It was a factory takeoff due to supposed damage. The motor appeared to be brand new when I got it. I can most certainly give it another shot.

I also did purchase a replacement idler pulley for my dryer as well, hoping to take some of the load off the motor when turning on. The factory one doesn't have any bearings and doesn't roll very well. Being that it's a larger capacity dryer to begin with, I figured friction is my worst enemy and I'll do whatever I can to reduce it!

When I get a few extra dollars saved up, I'll give it another shot with another replacement motor. This time, I'll buy from a reputable source. Fingers crossed that it fixes it this time around! Of course, I couldn't have a dryer with the cheap $45 motor, it has to be the $250 one! 😬

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, the ebay motor is bad. Lots of folks on ebay don't tell the whole truth, unfortunately. :eek:

If you order the motor from my link to it in post #2 above, It should work fine for many years to come.:)

Jake

BasementTech91

Premium Member
Fingers crossed that It fixes it for good! 🤞 Once I come up with the cash, I'll be sure to put an order in. Repair Clinic is right across town so that might be my best bet in relation to time. I appreciate it and I'll be sure to report back with any updates as well! Thanks!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good.:)

Jake