FIXED Samsung dryer overheats - run out of ideas - DV42H5000EW

SimonLes

Premium Member
Model
DV42H5000EW
Brand
Samsung
Various things happen. Started with no heat, so i replaced the thermal fuse. Then I found the element was touching the frame, no the fuse has blown again

Thermal fuse blows
Heating element gets hot and sags and touches the casing
error HE appears and it shuts off until it cools down. restarting it , it works for a while , then the same thing

I have replaced

the thermal fuse several times,
the high level thermostat
the heating element
The thermistor
the control board

None of this has solved the problem. I thought the control board had done it, but it lasted about a day and blew the thermal fuse again.

I'm out of ideas. I can't see anything wrong with the house electrics and the vent is totally clear and not very long.

Anyone have any suggestions? Thank you

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Heating element gets hot and sags and touches the casing
You mean the NEW heating element does that? Or the old one did?

If the new heating element sags and touches the casing, then its defective, return it and whoever you got it from should send you another NEW one.

Here's the heating element for your model:
Heating Element DC47-00019A

Jake

SimonLes

Premium Member
Hi Jake, both, although...

The original one , when the dryer first stopped working, I tested for continuity with the case (no) and resistance (fine) but when I had continued overheating problems and took it all apart I found it had then welded itself to the case. My conclusion was that happened after I tested it, otherwise the orignal test would have been a fail. So I replaced it.

The replacement has the two wires that go into the ceramic insulator. I had to bend and thread them to get it installed and I think I left the higher one not bent out the way of the case enough. I think again when it got too hot it sagged a bit or it was just user error in installation. I have since bent it back higher up out the way and it was working (after the control board was replaced the dryer worked for about a day), therefore I think that is a symptom/my error not a cause. Right now the resistance and continuity on the replacement element check out.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, I had a Samsung Dryer do this to me a year ago, I keep having to replace the thermal fuse on the heater housing, and mine was also very good air flow. I told the customer to set the heat on MEDIUM HEAT, not HIGH HEAT and she said that fixed it and she has not called me back since.:)

Put your dryer on MEDIUM HEAT and see if it fixes it.

Jake

SimonLes

Premium Member
Thank you Jake.

I replaced all 4 of the widgets today (again) (thermistor, both thermal fuses, and high limit thermostat) and ran two loads of laundry through it on medium. So far so good.

Thank you for replying to my questions. If it busts again i may be back!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Simon, sounds good.:)

Thanks for the update!

Jake