• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Samsung DV42H5200GW/A3 takes hours to dry - not lint blockage or thermistor

Brothernature77

Premium Member
Model Number
DV42H5200GW/A
Brand
Samsung
Long time lurker, first time poster.

Just moved into a new house with a gas DV42H5200GW/A3 that gets warm, but not hot. Takes hours to get completely dry, no matter the load size. It is currently in pieces on the laundry room floor and assured my wife I'd have it fixed by tomorrow...

Bought a dryer cleaning kit and ran it through the length of the pipe, mostly clean. Then I foolishly assumed it was a bad thermistor and the new one and old one are both reading about 10.5k at room temp.

I've checked for continuity on the thermal fuse (component right next to thermistor) and the thermostat I believe (component on the heating tube). Both read 0. I think that's good? Thermal fuse sounds like it has a rattle to it, but I would imagine it wouldn't read 0 if it was actually broken.

There was a lot of lint inside the dryer, not sure where it would come from so I don't know if that could cause a fault in a sensor or something.

No codes are showing. I also have been using the timed dry option at the hottest option at 1hr 45mins to start, so I don't think it's the moisture sensors doing interfering.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
0 ohms means good.:)

Put the dryer back together but leave the vent exhaust hose OFF to your dryer. Then dry a test load and see how it does. Normal drying time should be under 70 minutes for cottons and towels and jeans.

Also notice if the gas flame stays ON a long time while its heating, it should NOT be short cycling ON and OFF rapidly.

Jake

Brothernature77

Premium Member
Thanks for responding Jake.

Stupid question, but how do I know if the flame is on when it's put back together??

Brothernature77

Premium Member
UPDATE:

I put everything back together. Running "Timed Dry" on high temp.

From what I think I hear, amongst other click sounds, I can hear the igniter light and flame come on. I don't really know when it shuts off, but I do hear it reignite a minute or 2 later.

I haven't tried to run it with the vent hose off yet. To do that, I need to unhook the washer and have someone help me move the washer. Is the point of that test to check venting?

Last edited:

Brothernature77

Premium Member
UPDATE:

So I ran part of a cycle by holding the door switch. Very hot air comes out for 5 seconds and shuts off. Then maybe 30 seconds later, it comes back on again.

Could it be bad coils?

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I haven't tried to run it with the vent hose off yet. To do that, I need to unhook the washer and have someone help me move the washer. Is the point of that test to check venting?
Yes, because if the vent is restricted it will cause the short cycling of the gas flame.

You don't want to start ordering parts till you know for sure the vent is not restricted.:)

You can't leave the door open when checking the gas flame either, because you need proper air flow through the burner tube to prevent short cycling of the gas flame, and having the door open while its running causes that short cycling of the gas flame too.

Jake

Brothernature77

Premium Member
Ok I'll see what I can do. Would be a lot easier if they vented through the side of the house instead of the roof. I can't get to the actual exhaust with the current weather.

If I fed roughly 12 feet of duct cleaning brush through the duct with almost no obstruction or debris, where would the restriction be? Know any tricks to save me from going on a 2nd story roof with snow?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
If I fed roughly 12 feet of duct cleaning brush through the duct with almost no obstruction or debris, where would the restriction be? Know any tricks to save me from going on a 2nd story roof with snow?
Those are good questions, but It's hard to say for sure.

There are professional duct cleaners now that have specialized machines to thoroughly clean the duct run. Search Google for this in your area.

Jake

Brothernature77

Premium Member
Thanks. Going to attempt to move everything today and try running without being hooked to vent. Will report back, I'm hoping my experience can help someone with this issue.

Brothernature77

Premium Member
UPDATE:

Got everything moved, putting everything back should be interesting.

I'm currently running the dryer off of the vent pipe and it is definitely a lot hotter than it was before and not turning off as quickly.

I also ran the dryer vent cleaning kit through the length of the exhaust with no obstruction. However I'm trying to push the rods of the cleaning kit all the way through the vent in the roof to try and see it from outside.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, so if the gas flame is not short cycling with the exhaust vent off, then you have a vent restriction.

Jake