• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Samsung DW80K5050US Stormwash Dishwasher Not Heating Water

Swantzilla

Premium Member
Model Number
DW80K5050US
Brand
Samsung
This problem has existed since it was new. The dishwasher will not heat the water. Stupid me, I didn't know it was supposed to. I just thought we bought a poor dishwasher, I did not know it was broken.

The dishwasher will not heat the water. It does not post any error codes but upon start of cycle it takes about 3-5 minutes of draining, then motor pulsing to finally start the cycle. I have set it to hot water wash and sanitize rinse and it will not heat the water.

So, heater, control board or thermistor? I did test the heavier red wire to the heavier grey wire and there is continuity. I measured the voltage on the red and grey wire when running and there is no voltage. I am assuming those are the heater wires. If I had the pinouts I would also test the thermistor.

Any suggestions?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I couldn't locate the schematics for this model either.

So lets just do the basics first, disconnect power to your dishwasher then get access to the heating element and see if a wire just came loose to it when it was first installed brand new, since you mentioned its never worked since it was brand new.

Here's the heating element for your model below, there is also a video in the heating element part link that shows you how to access it.

Heating Element DD47-00008A

Jake

Swantzilla

Premium Member
Thanks Jake, Do you know what color wires go to it from the control board? I am trying to avoid removing it from the cabinet because it is a real PITA. If it they are a red and greyish wire, I have ohmed them out and there is continuity. I put a voltmeter on those connections and ran the dishwasher and I never see 120V across those pins. But if I need to remove the dishwasher, I will do that tomorrow, thanks for the reply.

I also have a lower end Frigidaire dishwasher in another home. It does a fantastic job. It gets hot without asking for extra heat. Upon startup, it starts right away. If you open the door mid cycle, it starts up when the door is closed. I expected the higher priced Samsung to perform as good or better. The Samsung takes about 3-5 minutes of short motor bursts to actually start washing. If the door is open mid cycle it takes another 2-3 minutes of short motor bursts before it will run continuously.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Do you know what color wires go to it from the control board?
No, I sure don't without seeing the wiring diagram for your model, which I can't locate.

Jake

Swantzilla

Premium Member
Thanks for looking. Question, if the dishwasher cannot heat the water, should it throw an error code? What roll does the thermistor play?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
if the dishwasher cannot heat the water, should it throw an error code?
That's exactly my thoughts too, so I'm puzzled as well. I'm not familiar with Samsung dishwashers, and without the service manual I can't help much.

Now ohm testing the heating element is what I would do 2nd, after making sure the wires to the heating element did not come loose 1st.

Watch this video to ohm test it: Heating Element Testing Video

Jake

Swantzilla

Premium Member
Bought a service manual online. I have continuity on the lines illustrated in red. I am going to measure the thermistor next. I am also going to measure the contacts on RY205 to see if it closes.

Attachments

• 11-21-2021 4-17-35 PM.jpg
    11-21-2021 4-17-35 PM.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 27
  • 11-21-2021 4-21-05 PM.jpg
    11-21-2021 4-21-05 PM.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 25
  • 11-21-2021 4-23-38 PM.jpg
    11-21-2021 4-23-38 PM.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 27

Swantzilla

Premium Member
Measured the voltage on the contacts of RY205, I get a constant 120v which shows the relay is not closing.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Measured the voltage on the contacts of RY205, I get a constant 120v which shows the relay is not closing.
Bingo! you nailed it, the culprit is the main control board if the relay is not closing.

Here's the main control board for your model you can order:

Jake

Swantzilla

Premium Member
While I am waiting for the control board to arrive, I tried the smart install auto mode. It starts to do step 2. I can hear water going in the DW and the circ pump turns and off a few times than I get an error code PC, which is not in the manual. restarted the test and same error code PC

Swantzilla

Premium Member
Ran the Smart Install Auto Mode Result Display and the result was NG indicating the Smart Install Auto Mode is not successfully completed or not performed: it is indicated by "nG. I have seen others report the same issue as mine and replacing the control board did not resolve it. There was not a follow-up on what the fix was.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's interesting, I don't know what else to suggest then, unless you want to cancel your control board order and buy a new dishwasher?

Samsung is more known for smartphones and TV's and have many issues with their major home appliances.

Maytag is a much better quality dishwasher and much more reliable.

Samsung products are not popular in my local area, so I never run service calls on them, basically the only thing you can do is go by the service manual to fix yours, my experience working on Samsung is zero.

Jake

deisgnnuy

Bought a service manual online. I have continuity on the lines illustrated in red. I am going to measure the thermistor next. I am also going to measure the contacts on RY205 to see if it closes.
Where did you get the service manual? I have been looking online and can not find one. Is it possible to post?

Swantzilla

Premium Member
I hope I do not get in trouble for this.

Attachments

• Samsung Dishwasher ca05a846-cf6a-4506-b6cc-6becd90db2f6.pdf
    2.8 MB · Views: 14

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks @Swantzilla you won't get in trouble.:)

What dishwasher did you end up getting to replace your Samsung?

Jake