• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Samsung electric dryer DV5471A tripping breaker on high heat

roday

Premium Member
Model Number
DV5471A
Brand
Samsung
My electric dryer is tripping the circuit on any heat mode except for low. When On another setting (especially high heat) the wires at the panel were making a crackling noise for a few seconds before there were blue sparks coming from the circuit. There is also a smell of burning wood. Some online research suggests it may be the heating element, but could it be a faulty breaker?

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member

jeff1

Staff member

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
roday said:
the wires at the [breaker] panel were making a crackling noise... Some online research suggests it may be the heating element, but could it be a faulty breaker?

No element failure would cause that.

There's a problem in the breaker box, not necessarily the breaker itself but more likely a loose connection. I'd suggest you discontinue dryer use until it can be looked into. That could be a fire hazard! I might go so far as to suggest you unplug the dryer until then as well.

JMO

Dan O.

roday

Premium Member
The dryer is hard wired. I’ve checked and re-tightened the wires at the appliance. I’m currently away on vacation so the circuit is off. When I get home I’ll check the connections at the breaker. In the meantime I’ve ordered a new heating element. I’ll try and run some tests on everything and report back when we find the solution

roday

Premium Member
I’ve replaced the heating element yesterday and have had no issues. We’ve done multiple loads of laundry and not once has the circuit tripped. My only guess from what I’ve read is the element had a short that was causing the circuit to trip. My volt meter needs a new battery, otherwise I would’ve checked for continuity issues.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
I don't know why it wouldn't trip on a low setting as well. They all use the same heater.

Glad to hear you fixed it. Thanks for the followup.

Dan O.

jeff1

Staff member
Glad that was all it was, thankx for the update.

jeff sr.

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.