• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Samsung FER300SX will not maintain temperature

joshuajack

Premium Member
Model Number
FER300SX
Brand
Samsung
All, I’ve read the following thread: https://www.applianceblog.com/mainforums/threads/48965-Samsung-electric-range-FER300SX-not-maintaining-oven-temperature?highlight=Fer300sx and I’ve replaced both the temperature sensor and the board. However, the problem is still occurring.

I can set the temp for 350, and ten minutes later come back and the temp still reads 350 but if I turn the oven off and then back on the temperature started anywhere between 280-300. Replacing the parts brought that up to 310-315 but everything I read states the temperature should not vary more than 15 degrees either side of the set temp. Any other ideas?

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
I don't think I'm following you. Is this something that just started happening? How old is the range? When you're dealing with temperature issues the oven sensor and the ERC are it. Maybe a bad new part? You're saying if you cook something at 350° it cooks fine unless you turn it off and back on? And you would do this why?

joshuajack

Premium Member
Let me clarify:

About a month ago I noticed that a recipe I was baking did not bake through correctly. When I opened the oven I found that the temperature was way below the 425 degrees I had entered. Over the following few weeks, we found "work arounds" while I researched the issue. One of the work arounds was to "manually cycle" the oven by turning the oven off and then back on to the desired temperature about every five minutes. When I would do this, I found that the oven temperature generally fell about 25-30 degrees in that 5 minutes.

Now, once I found the thread I mentioned in the previous post, I tested the temperature sensor. I found that the sensor would not hold a steady resistance, so I replaced it. At the same time, my ERC started to act strange - clock would reset randomly, numbers started to fade on the LCD, etc. After I replaced the temperature sensor, the temperature still did not hold steady. I tested the temperature at 5, 10, and 15 minute intervals and each time found an increasing dip in the oven temperature.

So, I just replaced the ERC. My question was two fold. First, what is the normal variation in the oven temperature over time, and second, if my oven is still not holding within that variation, are there other things I need to check? I would have replied to the other thread, but it was closed.

To answer your other questions, the range is a 2012 model. And no, the item did not cook as the temperature still does not seem to be holding steady although I haven't tried to bake soufflé or something that requires steady temperature.

rickgburton

Staff member
joshuajack said:
....what is the normal variation in the oven temperature over time,...
Basically 0° because everything is digital. The oven sensor is a thermistor, a variable resistor that changes its value with temperature.

The ERC uses the input of the oven sensor to turn the element on or off. If your machine is not maintaining temperatures, either the new oven sensor or ERC is bad. How far off is the temperature from the set temperature?

To check the oven temperatures you need a DMM that can measure temperatures because you need the fast response time. Don't go by the temps in the display or those little hanging oven thermometers you can buy in the grocery store.

Put the DMM thermocouple in the middle of the oven cavity and close the door. Set the oven to bake at 350° and record the temperature the oven cycles off. Then record the temperature when the oven cycles back on. Do this three more times then post your results here.

joshuajack

Premium Member
Final update. After replacing the thermistor and the ERC I was still having a problem holding temperature in the oven. I tested the resistance again in the new thermistor and it was fine. A friend mentioned that they had to replace an element recently. Even though I didn't see anyone say that holding temp was related to the element, I took one more shot and ordered a new element DG47-00038B

As I started to replace the old element I found this:
IMG_0905.jpg
Here is another picture of it:
IMG_0906.jpg
Not sure if one thing led to another but the oven is operating correctly now. Hope this helps someone!

rickgburton

Staff member
I assumed the element was turning on and it was just a temp issue. I'm glad to hear it's fixed. Thanks for the update!