• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Samsung French Door Refrigerator RF28HFEDBBCAA-09 - Freezer Not as Cold

linekona

Premium Member
Ok, that sucks cause it seems like this fridge didn't last that long. Our last fridge which was a Whirlpool (side-by-side) lasted a little over 10 years I believe. Samsung is quoting a minimum of $140 to come out to just troubleshoot and then the replacement of the compressor does not include labor (minimum $200 for labor), so I'm wondering at this point if it's better to just bite the bullet and buy a new fridge? I don't know if I'll ever buy another Samsung or LG. I've heard those aren't reliable. What are considered reliable brands and/or models now days?

Thanks, Jake.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, it would be better to buy a new refrigerator.

We recommend Whirlpool, Maytag, KitchenAid, Jenn-Air, and Amana for the best reliability and longevity.

Jake

linekona

Premium Member
Thanks, which type is better, french door or side-by-side. I believe the ones with icemakers in the door are also ones not to look for?

Thanks!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's up to you, I have a Whirlpool side by side in my Kitchen and its worked perfect from Day 1 when I bought it new in March of 2014.

Mine has the ice maker inside the freezer, not on the door. Yes, you are correct, the ice maker in the freezer is much more reliable than the ice maker on the door.

Jake

linekona

Premium Member
Thanks, Jake. Are most refrigerators now days have dual evaps for RC and FC? Looking online, looks like the 3 valve or similar gets stuck and one compartment doesn't cool. I'd hate to go thru a similar issue or failure and the fridge doesn't last too long. Buying those extended warranties I saw are expensive too, like 400-500 extra for 5 years.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Are most refrigerators now days have dual evaps for RC and FC?
The higher end models ones do, just avoid those and get the single evaporator coil.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Anytime!

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, Frigidaire is much better than LG and Samsung. That Frigidaire one is good at Best Buy.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Anytime!

Jake