Samsung front load washer WF365BTBGWR/A2 balancing problem

ilya980

Premium Member
Model Number
WF365BTB
Brand
Samsung
Hi everyone,

I have a problem with Samsung front load washer WF365BTBGWR/A2. It is 6 years old. Over last several months it became unbalanced during spin cycle and started to vibrate. One day, there was a very loud noise (like explosion) inside during medium speed spin, so I turned it off and took apart. The top balancing weight broke into 2 pieces, and one piece fell down jammed between the side wall and plastic tub. The bottom piece also broke in half, was still in place, but also had multiple cracks. I took the entire machine apart, replaced the balancing weights, both bearings, and the oil seal. Bearings actually did not look bad. After I put it all back together it has become much better, but the problem is that it still vibrates during spin, especially at some intermediate RPMs.

I see that during wash and light spin the metal drum "shakes" as it is out of balance. This is visible even if I just turn the drum by hand if I look at the edge. I don't think I had this issue before, so something must be wrong. However, I did not see any other visible damage putting it together. The bearings are new, the shaft seems straight, the drum looks round, and all supports seem ok. I noticed that when I was putting the tub together the metal drum inside spins without any shakes if I take the large plastic white ring off of it. If I put it on, I feel that it becomes unbalanced.

The plastic ring on the front of the metal drum apparently is another balancing ring. The one I have seems to have rollers inside, some others have fluid. The rollers seem to roll and make some noise when I tilt the ring, but I can't take it apart, it is all sealed. There is no visible damage to it, but if I spin the drum by hands, I hear the rollers move around.

How can I figure out why my metal drum is unbalanced at intermediate RPMs? The problem with this unbalancing is that the machine spins fine only with very light load. If the load is a bit bigger (even half tub) it vibrates and shakes at medium spin.

Thanks.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Check your shocks. Shocks wear out over the years.

Here's the shocks for your model:
DC66-00470C Damper-Shock

Jake

ilya980

Premium Member
Hi Jake,
Thanks for the idea. It could be. Is there a way to see if the shock is good or bad? I can take them off.
I am puzzled by the "beat" of the metal drum. I would think that even if shocks are completely destroyed (or frozen) I should not see any "beat" if I spin empty drum by hands. Am I wrong? I feel that the "beat" is caused by rollers inside the plastic metal ring balancing ring, as if all rollers stuck on one side. The beat goes away if I remove that ring. But I also understand from simple physics that beat will be caused by these rollers if I spin the drum slowly, because rollers will be mostly on one side. Not obvious to me that anything is wrong with that ring. Do you think that the machine is designed so that the ring produces some beat at low speeds, shocks are designed to absorb it, but they don't cause they failed?
Thanks.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I'd first check your shocks in the bottom of your washer that attaches to the bottom of the drum to make sure none are not broken or bottoming out or grease leaking out of it.

The shocks do not have a lot of resistance on them. They should move fairly easy on the unit, but should not be very loose. They shouldn't be bottoming out or leaking any oil. Also for any cracks in the shocks plastic casing as well.

I don't know the answers to those other questions, I don't work on Samsung washer tub bearings.

Hopefully another tech. that has can shed some light on this for you.

Jake

ilya980

Premium Member
The shocks are not physically broken, there are no traces of grease leaking out.
I opened the top and spun the metal drum by hand. The drum wobbles, but the plastic tub does not move even a tiny bit. Looks like the shocks are doing what they are supposed to do, at least at ~100 RPM that I can do by hand with empty drum. I don't think that shocks should play any role if I just spin empty drum by hands - yet I see it wobbles, so something is wrong.
I stopped by best buy and looked at the new similar Samsung washer. The drum should not wobble at all. But I can hear the rollers in the front ring, about the same loudness as in my machine.
My thoughts: 1) drive shaft is bent. 2) metal drum is bent; 3) new bearings are bad (worn, refurbished) 4) Some of the rollers in the plastic balance are stuck on one side never allowing it to properly balance 5) The drive shaft has dislocated from the axis of the drum. I have no idea how to check these.

I don't see any visible damage to drive shaft, bearings, drum or the balancing ring and never abused the washer to run with something solid (like snickers). I've spun the drum inside the plastic tub without balancing ring both standing on bricks (to raise the shaft so it does not touch the floor) and at an angle similar to the one when installed in the washer. It does not wobble until I reattach the plastic balancing ring. The wobbling is visible during wash cycle too, not just spin.

Also, the shaft has a very thin metal ring, also rounded across. I did not replace it. What is it for? Is it oil seal ring on another side of the bearing?

Any ideas? Please help.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Like I said above, I'm not familiar with these Samsung bearings, as techs we replace the outer tub assembly which includes new bearings already installed: Assy Outer Tub Back

And the inner tub assembly, which includes the new drive shaft, bearings, drum, balancing ring: Inner Tub Assy DRUM

Both are No Longer Available.

Jake

ilya980

Premium Member
I was hoping someone would give me an idea about how to diagnose the problem. Do you know if it is ok to test run the machine with front balancing ring removed? Could it possibly cause damage if I run it empty on low spin with that ring removed to see if wobbling disappears?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I don't know if you can or not.

Hopefully another tech. or member that's done this successfully can shed some light on this for you.

Jake

ilya980

Premium Member
There are couple more observations: it wobbles even if I turn the drum very slowly, and there are exactly 2 beats per turn. The amplitude of those beats increases with load. At about 3/4 load capacity at low spin wobbling amplitude becomes large, the drum moves by about an inch at very low RPM. At higher RPM (full speed low spin) the machine just rattles, the drum wobbles less. I guess it is being stabilized. Can this be a worn shaft? Can a shaft possibly wear to an ellipse rather than being ground to a smaller diameter? This is irrespective of the make and model of the washer. If the shaft is worn, does it typically grind to a smaller diameter and becomes loose inside the bearing, or can it become "elongated" across? I think I'll have to take it all apart again and see if the shaft has free play inside the bearing....

ilya980

Premium Member
I opened the tub again because the washer is nearly impossible to use. I have the shaft with the spider, drum and bearings laying on my floor. Everything "looks" normal. Please suggest what I can test. The shocks seem ok, they have resistance, one has less than the other 3. I can replace them anyway. But the drum wobbles even after shocks are disconnected.

ilya980

Premium Member
When I try to spin the drum by hands holding it inside the bottom part of tub with the top part removed, the assembly jumps out of my hands because of "beating". I hold it by the top handle with one hand and spin the drum with another. The bottom I am holding is just trying to jump out. I don't think it should be like that. There are only a few parts on it: bearings, shaft, spider, drum, balancing ring, and bottom with bearing housings. How do I find out what is wrong? No visible damage.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Like I said many times, I don't know, you'll need to wait till another tech that works on Samsung washers can help you.

I can't help you anymore, sorry.

Jake