FIXED Samsung FX710BGS/XAA Sounds like flame is turning on and off

scottdfuller

Premium Member
Model Number
FX710BGS/XAA
Brand
Samsung
I have a Samsung FX710BGS/XAA that's having an issue. It's heating up okay but it sounds like when a gas flame blows out, and then back on. You can also hear the gas flow and it sounds like it's turning on and off. It's like 2 seconds on, a second off, two seconds on, a second off....The orange glow stays consistently on but it's definitely not right. Does anybody know what this might be from?

Thanks.

-Scott Fuller

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

scottdfuller

Premium Member
Jake-

Sorry, I never did reply to that one. I've just posted a reply...copied here for easier reference. Please let me know if it sounds like the same problem. I'm ready to either do some diagnostics or just put in the new part if it sounds like a slam dunk.

Sorry- I never updated this. I had found something online where someone suggested 'rebooting' the oven by unplugging and then replugging it. I forget the reasoning, but I figured there was nothing to lose. I don't know if it was a fluke, but it seemed to work. It may have been heating up a little slower than in the old days but since it was working, I decided not to take anything apart or install new parts. I did buy the device to check the amperage but never checked it.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Scott,

Since you didn't replace it, that's likely the problem your having now, because when the oven ignitor becomes weak it won't make the gas safety valve keep a constant flow of gas, thus it will keep cutting OFF and ON like that.:)

You'll need to check the amps first from either of the two oven igniter wires.

Amperage range is 3.3 - 3.6 amps. You will need a Clamp style amp meter to check the amps when its ON and GLOWING.

If the Amps are lower than 3.3 amps when its ON and GLOWING, then your oven igniter is weak and will need to be replaced.

Here's the oven igniter for your model:
DG94-00520A Assy-Hot Surface Igniter

Jake

scottdfuller

Premium Member
The amperage is hovering around 3.18-3.20. The igniter glows for a while before the gas will even kick on. Does the gas valve somehow monitor that amperage and hold off opening until it hits a certain number?

I'm going to order the part. Thanks for your help.

-Scott

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, the problem is your oven ignitor, its too low amperage to keep the oven gas valve on steady.

Does the gas valve somehow monitor that amperage and hold off opening until it hits a certain number?
Correct, and that would be 3.3 - 3.6 amps.

Let us know how it goes after your replace the oven igniter.:)

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Scott, glad to hear the new ignitor fixed it.:)

Thanks for the update!

Jake