• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Samsung NY58J9850WS broiler turning on in non-broil modes

rubberducky

Premium Member
Model Number
NY58J9850WS
Brand
Samsung
My Samsung NY58J9850WS ("Gas Range with Dual Fuel Technology") has recently developed a fun quirk where it randomly likes to turn the broiler on high at the beginning of non-broil modes (like Bake). When we turn on Bake mode, we have to check a few minutes later whether the top heating element is glowing red (indicating that the oven has actually turned the broiler on high). If it is, we turn the oven off and then turn it back on again at in our desired mode and temperature. We repeat this on/off cycle until the top heating element isn't glowing red (usually 2-4 times). Broil does not turn on in the middle of baking, however (thankfully!), and this issue only occurs when the Flex Duo divider is inserted and the upper oven is used.

This is very annoying, but at least we have found a work around that allows us to use the oven... We are very disappointed because the appliance is fairly new and it was not cheap.

Does anyone know what the issue might be and whether there is some sort of reset that may work, or whether it might need a replacement part/more involved repair?

Thanks!

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Is this something you just noticed? Here's the reason I asked. Most ranges will turn on both elements during the first temperature rise on bake. The control will then terminate the broil after that or it will only supply 120 VAC to the broil element. If this is something that just started the problem will be the relay board on the back of the machine. Unfortunately, this part has been discontinued. This is the only part number I could find DE92-02439M

rubberducky

Premium Member
Thanks for the quick reply! It’s a recent issue and it only occurs when the oven divider is inserted, and we’re using the upper oven. When using the upper oven, the food is quite close to the top burner, so I would be surprised if the intended behaviour is to turn the broiler on full blast to heat up the oven (that would burn the food in a few minutes).

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
OK let's check for any error codes. After you touch the Clock pad, make sure the Timer and Warming Drawer are both turned OFF.

Touch Clock pad.
Snapshot_20.jpg

Touch the number pads 1,2,3 and 4.
Snapshot_21.jpg

Touch the Start/Set pad.
Snapshot_22.jpg

Touch the ‘Clock’ and the ‘Touch to Wake-Up’ pads at the same time for 2 seconds. Error codes are displayed
Snapshot_24.jpg

Press the 0 number pad, to display the latest 5 error codes. If the power is interrupted and the oven turns off, the stored error codes are deleted.
Snapshot_25.jpg

Press the Off/Clear pad to return to normal display mode.
Snapshot_26.jpg

Post any error codes here.