• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake

FIXED Samsung OTR Micro door latch mechanism broke

daggerNC

Premium Member
Model Number
SMH9207ST
Brand
Samsung
All - I opened the door to my OTR Samsung microwave, model SMH9207ST on Friday and I heard a pop and noise like a spring coming undone and parts rattling inside the door. I then closed it and it wouldn't stay closed. I see there are two hook latches that should be spring loaded, but now they just float freely with no tension. Any assistance on how to tackle disassembling this micro door and repairing the latch mechanism would be much appreciated!! Thanks.

David

daggerNC

Premium Member
Thanks Jeff! Any additional guidance on how I should first start to remove the inner trim piece (eg., start at middle bottom and move putty knife until a clip is felt and then pry up (or down), or??) That looks like the door key of my unit.

Cheers - David

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Any additional guidance on how I should first start to remove the inner trim piece (eg., start at middle bottom and move putty knife until a clip is felt and then pry up (or down), or??)
Exactly....I start in one spot and if it comes out I go with it.....if too much resistance I move and start in a different spot.
prying out towards you.

handle-screws.JPG

jeff.

jeff1

Staff member
Please do let us know how you make out with it :)

jeff.

newpewter

had the same problem. I removed the inner trim piece, as recommended above (thanks for that!) and found that the spring connection on the latch piece had broken. I tried drilliing a 3/64th inch hole on the "ear" of the latch near where the spring had connected, then connected the spring, put it back together .... and it works fine.

jeff1

Staff member
Yupper, found a few broken and couple of spring hoops broken.....things to try our patience ;)
Thankx for letting us know.

jeff.

daggerNC

Premium Member
had the same problem. I removed the inner trim piece, as recommended above (thanks for that!) and found that the spring connection on the latch piece had broken. I tried drilliing a 3/64th inch hole on the "ear" of the latch near where the spring had connected, then connected the spring, put it back together .... and it works fine.
Thought I had replied. I did the exact same thing as newpewter - drilled a small hole where the "L" hook cracked off and reattached the spring and it is working fine!

NCgator

I just came home to find my microwave door swinging open. Found this forum and 15 minutes later I did the same fix as above and the door now closes. You saved me alot of heartburn and likely some $. Thanks!!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Good job NCgator, Jeff and Rick are top notch techs on microwaves.:)

Jake

mgawhary

Hello, seems like i have the same issue with my Samsung SMH9207st... BUt when i opened the panel on my microwave, they latch (blk item that moves up and down) is fine and intact. BUT there is a broken piece inside the frame of door (small latch that one side of the spring latches too). is this repairable or do i need a whole new door??? Please help, my email is mgawhary@hotmail.com and text at 703-599-6723. thanks in advance!

IslandWoman

Thanks, guys. I woke up this morning to discover the light blaring on my samsung micro. When I tried to close the door, it wouldn't. So, I googled, "what can you do if your microwave door won't close", and I found y'all. I followed each thread and fixed my door. Thanks, and bless you all!

carob

LG door fixed- thank you!

Thanks for the info on the door and latch! I took off the door as you instructed, found the spring that came detached and re-attached it. Simple fix. No drilling required :)

Carolyn

Justin05211107

Premium Member
Hi Jeff. I bought the new door latch, but I am missing the spring that connects the latch to the door. The spring was not included with the latch. Do you know where I can find the correct size spring?