• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Samsung Range NX58H5600SS oven bake gas turns on and off

Status
Not open for further replies.

lenhardgil@gmai

Premium Member
Model Number
NX58H5600SS
Brand
Samsung
Appreciate any help with this issue. When turning on oven bake, ignitor glows, after 20 seconds gas comes on, ignites, burns fine, but then gas shuts of after 15-20 seconds. Ignitor stays glowing, after 15-20 seconds gas comes back on. It keeps repeating this, with the time between turn on /shut off growing less, until it stays on steady, and reaches bake temp.

Other info:
1) checked ignitor resistance=188 ohms, within spec of 4-400 ohms.
2) Top oven broiler works fine, steady, no intermittent gas flow problems.
3) same behavior happens on convection bake. As side note, wife reports convection bake fan does not appear to work as before, but I am unsure of normal operation (should fan be continuously on through heat up and bake cycle?)
4) checked for error codes, it says HO E AA. I do not see that in service manual.

My guess is a bad gas safety valve, or control board, but could use some trouble shooting guidance to isolate problem.

Thanks.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

When the oven ignitor becomes weak it won't make the gas safety valve keep a constant flow of gas, thus it will keep cutting OFF and ON like that.:)

You'll need to check the amps first from either of the two oven igniter wires.

Amperage range is 3.3 - 3.6 amps. You will need a Clamp style amp meter to check the amps when its ON and GLOWING.

If the Amps are lower than 3.3 amps when its ON and GLOWING, then your oven igniter is weak and will need to be replaced.

Here's the oven igniter for your model:
DG94-00520A Assy-Hot Surface Igniter

Let us know what you find.

Jake

lenhardgil@gmai

Premium Member
Thanks Jake,

Lityle tricky, unfortunately I don't have a clamp multimeter (I suppose I should get one).

In meantime, do you know if igniter for broiler is same as the igniter for oven? If so, I can just swap igniters and see if issue follows igniter.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, broil and bake glow bar igniters should be the same, yes you can swap them and see if that fixes the bake problem.:)

Let us know.

Jake

lenhardgil@gmai

Premium Member
Well Jake, swapping the broiler igniter to the bake igniter fixed it. Works great, uninterrupted and fast temp rise to bake setting. It was trickier to do the swap than I expected, needed to haul out the range and remove the back panel to unclip the broiler igniter electrical connector, so makes me kind of wish I just listened to you and replaced igniter without the swap. But that's ok. Learned something in the process.

Thanks for guidance. I would not have guessed that was the issue, since the igniter was in the spec range of 4-400 ohms, right at 180. I was going to be swappinng out very expensive gas shut off valves and probably the pcb, you avoided me spending a fortune. Thanks so much, and thanks for quick reply.

One other question: my convection fan is not working. Any idea of most likely cause or best way to troubleshoot and isolate?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, glad to hear it was the bake igniter glow bar that was the culprit.(y)

One other question: my convection fan is not working. Any idea of most likely cause or best way to troubleshoot and isolate?
The convection fan starts automatically when the oven meets the preheat temperature.

The convection fan also stops when the oven door is open.

So as a test turn on Convection bake set at 150 and see if the convection fan comes on when it gets to 150.

Jake

lenhardgil@gmai

Premium Member
Thanks for explanation on how it works Jake. We tested it twice by setting to convection bake at 350. It got to that temp, but fan does not come on. My wife says she heard it working other day, so not sure what is going on. Any tips where to go next?

When I had the back panel off, I checked continuity on fan, 29 ohms. Although that might have been the smaller top fan, which my wife says is an electronics cooling (shes an engineer, and very smart). It was behind the protruding back panel towards top, so I think it was the smaller fan I checked.

We are also having a discussion about the difference between convection bake and convection roast. I assume convection roast is fan running with broiler on, rather than oven. Do you know?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The convection fan motor is in the very back of the oven in the middle.

Here's the convection fan motor for your model:
DG31-00014F Motor Ac CONVECTION

Check with your multimeter if your getting 120 volts at the electrical terminal ends when you have convection bake on when it should be running when it gets to 150 degrees.

Watch this video and it shows you:

We are also having a discussion about the difference between convection bake and convection roast. I assume convection roast is fan running with broiler on, rather than oven. Do you know?
That I don't know, it varies from model to model, check your owners manual and it should tell you.

Jake

lenhardgil@gmai

Premium Member
Great Jake, once again you are super helpful. New igniter for broiler coming tomorrow, when Iinstall it, I will throughly test fan and let you know what I find. Thanks again.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok sounds good.:)

Jake

lenhardgil@gmai

Premium Member
Well Jake, got the new igniter installed for the broiler, all good and working.

Regarding the convection fan, I found the problem. I had left a connection off when testing the fan resistance. All hooked up now, and everything's working just fine.

We can close the thread, and again thanks for all the help and guidance. Really appreciate it.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, glad its all working great now.(y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.