• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Samsung Range NX58H9500WS/AC Bake and Broil do not ignite. Diagnostic help?

KWhomeowner

Premium Member
Model Number
NX58H9500WS/AA-1
Brand
Samsung
Hello, just yesterday the oven and broil functions stopped working. No heat, no gas smell. All stove top functions are operating correctly, all stovetop elements ignite and function properly. Was thinking this might be an igniter issue but the likelihood of both bake and broil ceasing to function seems a bit odd. What else can cause this? Any help is appreciated!

Fern

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member

blacknoon

Premium Member
Hello I have the same issue. Mine started when the digital display stopped working. Turned out the rodents chewed on the wires behind the warming drawer. I replaced those and now that works. The oven igniter wouldn't turn on and so I replaced that as well as they rodents chewed on the insulation. The broiler igniter quit a few years ago and I just now replaced that. The new oven igniter doesn't turn on but the broiler does. I get no heat in either mode.

I replaced the controller board with a used one that was working. Still same issue. I don't smell gas and am pretty sure I put all the wires back correctly. I took pictures before removing them and referred to it when I put them all back. I also watched videos and compared what theirs was and mine and they seem fine. The oven sensor resistance reads 1100 ohms which should be fine as specs call for 1080 ohms. Also too now my top oval burner won't light up all the way.

Only the half that is nearest the igniter lights up. All other burners are just fine. I've taken that apart and cleaned it but didn't change anything. Sometimes if I run a knife across the unlit part I'll get a flame. Don't know how to fix this. All my wires seem to be good and connections are good too. Could it be that the rodents somehow turned off the gas valve leading to the oven part?

The attached photos are from the before and after the repair. I haven't tried to see if the warming drawer works or not as I only used it once in the 5 years I've had it I really don't care if it really does or not. I have the repair manual and it strictly warns not to misplace the wires because it could result in an explosive event. Well so far no boom and no I'm not going to go randomly playing with the wire connections.

Attachments

• Stove 2.jpg
    Stove 2.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 9
  • After Electrical Repair.jpg
    After Electrical Repair.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 8

rickgburton

Staff member
For the oven igniter, Check the voltage(120V) on the main board at T504-T505 (Bake), when set to bake. For the top burner it sounds like an adjustment. Clean the burner with a wire brush. Open the air shutter all the way. Are you on Natural gas or LP?

blacknoon

Premium Member
For the oven igniter, Check the voltage(120V) on the main board at T504-T505 (Bake), when set to bake. For the top burner it sounds like an adjustment. Clean the burner with a wire brush. Open the air shutter all the way. Are you on Natural gas or LP?
I've already cleaned the burner. I took it apart and cleaned it with a wire brush and all the vent holes. I tried testing for voltage on the board when in broil and got zero for DC and AC. I'm assuming circuit boards use DC. Both boards gave me the same reading. I didn't test it for the oven bake in a bake cycle. I just don't understand how I can read no voltage yet the broiler igniter turns on and glows.

rickgburton

Staff member
Let me clear that up, T505 is the bake relay and T504 is the broil relay so measure between T505 and Neutral (one side of each safety valve wire is neutral) to see if the igniter is getting 120 VAC.

blacknoon

Premium Member
I would first like to know how come the broiler igniter can come on but not produce any heat. My understanding is with the oven igniter enough heat has to be produced before the safety valve releases the gas. I'm assuming what is going on with the broiler is the same thing going on with the oven not heating up.

rickgburton

Staff member
You're close. The igniter needs to draw 3.2 to 3.6 amps to open the oven safety valve. When the igniters wear out the amps drop. Probably the most common issue with igniters. If the igniter turns on, measure the amps. If the igniter doesn't turn on, check for supply voltage.
C-Igniter Amps.jpg

blacknoon

Premium Member
I just replaced both igniters. The broiler went out a few years ago. My issues all started last winter with the rodents got inside the house and took up residence under the stove and chewed on the wires behind the warming drawer. That is what killed the digital display screen. I replaced that, both igniters, the PCB board as well as the digital display board. Right before then the oven worked just fine.

The rodent damage has been confined to the bottom of the oven behind the warming drawer. Is it possible there is a grounding wire I missed someplace that needs to be fixed? Also how long should I really wait for the broiler to actually ignite the burner.

I usually give it about 30 seconds and stick my hand in the oven right below the broiler element and check for any kind of heat and don't feel anything thing. I've let the oven in bake mode go on for a good ten minutes and still no heat.

rickgburton

Staff member
I replaced that, both igniters, the PCB board as well as the digital display board.
New doesn't necessarily mean good. Especially if they came from eBay or Amazon. I told you how to check it. What part is hanging you up?? No meter? No amp probe?

blacknoon

Premium Member
Just being a big chicken. Also, I don't bend too well anymore and getting on the floor with a volt meter is easy it's the getting back up that's a big pain. I'm also still recovering from building my new front porch and adding an extension to my deck. I also need to run errands to get some plywood. So it will be a few days before I can get to this.