• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Samsung Refrigerator RF197ACPN Not Cooling Top or Bottom

tim040302

Premium Member
Model Number
RF197ACPN
Brand
Samsung
Our unit stopped cooling both top and bottom. I pulled the panel inside to see if the fan was free (it spun freely) and if the coils were getting cold which they were not. I then pulled the back panel to find that both the compressor and compressor fan are both running - but when I feel the compressor it is not getting hot or cold on any of the lines into/out of the compressor. There are no error lights on the top panel and the temp settings are in the appropriate range for both freezer and fridge portions.

Any ideas what could be wrong? I have not heard of a fridge spontaneously start leaking out R134a, but I guess there is a first time...

TIA
Tim S

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Tim,

I then pulled the back panel to find that both the compressor and compressor fan are both running
That indicates a sealed system problem.

Check your owners manual warranty, some models have up to 10 years warranty on the compressor/sealed system

Jake

tim040302

Premium Member
Thanks Jake - Unfortunately this model and year only has the 5 year closed system warranty - did a load test and confirmed that it looks to be the compressor...Unit turns on, I see it spike to 10A for a very short period on start up and then drops off to 875mA of current but the compressor is still running... :-( Now I get to replace it at the most expense time anyone has ever seen!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Now I get to replace it at the most expense time anyone has ever seen!
Yes, unfortunately prices have gone a bit higher since this inflation kicked in this year, but I always recommend that people buy the lower to mid range appliances, the LESS BELLS and WHISTLES the BETTER, LESS to break down.

Jake