• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Samsung Refrigerator RF23HCEDBSR icemaker makes ice wont' release ice

Lalecob

Premium Member
Model Number
RF23HCEDBSR
Brand
Samsung
Ice maker is making ice, but only dumps it when I hit the reset button. I have replaced the fan, as I had seen that was an option elsewhere, but did not solve the problem.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

I located a service bulletin on this issue for your model, but we need the serial number to verify it.

Screenshot 2022-05-31 08.06.42.png

Here's the ice maker for your model:
samsung-assy-ice-maker-da97-13718c-ap6261444_01_m.jpg

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, yours is M1 so it's not in range of that service bulletin.

Put a freezer thermometer in the ice maker compartment and see what it reads, because it needs to be 10 degrees F or lower at all times to make ice automatically.

Jake

Lalecob

Premium Member
Best I can tell is it's ate ~25 degrees. But it does make ice, just doesn't drop it until I hit the reset button.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, I understand that but it needs to be at 10 degrees F to make ice on its own without you pressing the reset button to make the ice eject manually.

What does your freezer temperature read with that freezer thermometer?

Jake

Lalecob

Premium Member
Sorry Jake, that may not be coming across correctly. It is showing 15 degrees in the ice bin.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Its need to be under 10 degrees, do you hear the fan running inside the freezer?

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The freezer fan should be running at all times when the refrigerator itself is running.

Usually the freezer fan motor is getting power, but not running, due to the motor bearing going bad. You can use a multimeter SET on DC Volts and see if your getting power to it, your meter should read about 12 Volts DC.

See if you get 12 volts DC at that evaporator fan motor electrical connector when it should be running.

Here's the evaporator(freezer) fan motor for your model:
DA31-00146H Motor

When you click the part link you will see a HOW TO video that shows you how to replace it.

If no 12 Volts DC, then your control board is the problem. Check your model number tag for a revision number so we can match up the control board for your model, as they make a few depending on the revision number.

Let us know how it goes.

Jake

Lalecob

Premium Member
well, Sunday evening it started making ice and has been making it consistently since then, so we are working fine.
thanks for your help.

Larry

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Larry, sounds good, but keep your eye on it though, it this problem happened once, it can happen again.

Jake