• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Samsung Refrigerator RF23J9011SR/AA - Freezer and Ice Maker working but Fridge Warm

finnimus

Premium Member
Model Number
RF23J9011SR/AA
Brand
Samsung
Revision 08.

We inherited a Samsung counter depth fridge with the purchase of a home. It has two compressors. The fridge is warm 50ish degrees and the freezer is at appropriate temp. Fridge has been set from 38 to 44 with no change in internal temp. Unit has been unplugged for 24 hours and then plugged back in as a rest. No change.

Went into diagnostic mode, only error code was 40C for the ice maker. I defrosted it and then turned off the ice making function (not going to use it anyway) and the code cleared. No other codes are showing.

Took off the back panels. There are three boards. A big green one, and two smaller brown ones. LED's on both boards seem to turn on and off. Both compressors feel warm. Neither seems overly loud. Fan at the bottom is running.

Doesn't look like there are any leaks or anything. Any advice? 2016 build date.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Its sounds like possibly a sealed system problem, the refrigerator compressor is running but not pumping the FREON through the sealed system properly, or you have a leak or restriction in the sealed system.

We techs go by the frost pattern of the evaporator coil to determine a sealed system problem.

The LAST PHOTO below is a NORMAL FROST PATTERN.

Frost Patterns.jpg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, that matches the SEALED SYSTEM PROBLEM photo I posted above.

Check your owners manual warranty and see if you are covered by a sealed system warranty through Samsung.

Jake

finnimus

Premium Member
Working on scheduling an appontment. If covered I'll still be responsible for labor. On a sealed system issue, is it worth the labor to repair?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
If the labor is not too much money.

Labor can be anywhere from $300 to $600.

Jake