• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Samsung Refrigerator RF23M8070SG/AA Leaking water on the floor

joshd

Premium Member
Model Number
RF23M8070SG/AA
Brand
Samsung
My 4 door refrigerator is accumulating a lot of water in the drain pan and is overflowing onto the floor. It is only 3 years old. The condenser fan also seems to run all the time. Here's what I've done so far and has not yet solved the issue:

1. Checked and poured warm bleach water through the refrigerator defrost drain line, clear and flows freely, not iced up.
  2. Checked and poured warm bleach water through the ice maker defrost drain line, clear and flows freely, not iced up.
  3. Vacuumed condenser, was not super dirty to begin with.
  4. Refrigerator is level
  5. Pulled the water filter out and noticed the removable tray under the filter was filled with water. i dumped the tray and replaced with a new water filter (hoping this might have been the issue, but too soon to tell)
Any other thoughts would be very helpful. I read could also be the temperature sensors, hence the reason the condenser fan is always running. I have 3 drain lines in the back (1 for the fridge, one for the ice maker, and one for the freezer) This model uses rubber tubes for the drain lines, I've put the tubes into small plastic wine glasses to help issolate where the water is coming from. So far, it seems to be from the main fridge drain.

joshd

Premium Member
According to the technician that came out to my house today, it's the icemaker that has gone bad. it is not always making ice, just draining water down into the pan, instead. possibly the heater in the icemaker that is working intermittently. it does make ice, however, seems like it must miss some cycles. turned the ice maker off until my new one arrives.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
According to the technician that came out to my house today, it's the icemaker that has gone bad.
That sounds logical, if you turn the ice maker completely off no water flows to your floor correct?

Here's the ice maker for your model, in case others with your model need it too:
samsung-assy-ice-maker-da97-13718c-ap6261444_01_m.jpg

Jake

joshd

Premium Member
Thanks Jake, that is indeed the part number i ordered. Correct, i turned the ice maker off, and no "flooding". I suppose if it still does this with the new ice maker, then it could possibly mean the water valve that is bad? My understanding, the ice maker tells the valve when to open? Seems unlikely though.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I suppose if it still does this with the new ice maker, then it could possibly mean the water valve that is bad? My understanding, the ice maker tells the valve when to open?
No, if the water valve was bad the water would never stop coming into the ice maker, until you manually turned the water off at your water supply line.

Yes, the ice maker tells the water inlet valve to open and close per the filling cycle of the ice maker.

Jake

joshd

Premium Member
Thanks Jake. I installed the new icemaker i got off Amazon it seems to produce ice much slower and smaller cubes than the original. Over the course of 12 hours it produced 12-18 small cubes which seems like its under performing. I don't know if this is because of the part # change, or because this is a 3rd party knockoff, even though the description says its an OEM part. I've also ordered one you provided the link to so i can compare the 2.

dashriprok

Appliance Tech
NEVER EVER EVER buy appliance parts from Amazon. They are way too often counterfeit or somehow of lesser quality. At our shop we're averaging 4 service calls per week where an embarrassed husband schedules one of our appliance service techs to repair an appliance he tried to repair himself but failed. Unfortunately for John Doe, he did everything correctly ~ diagnosed it properly, ordered part, and installed it without breaking something else, but it still didn't work. We got to his house and figure out the new part that HE BOUGHT FROM AMAZON was bad out of the box or somehow didn't work properly.

joshd

Premium Member
Thanks for the feedback Dash. I guess I've gotten lucky in the past. i've repaired my washing machine, dryer and HVAC with Amazon parts in the past that have luckily held up. But you are right, you don't always know what you are getting. Guess i will find out on Friday when the new ice maker delivers from Appliance Parts Pros! Fingers crossed.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, I agree with Dash.

The OEM one from AppliancePartsPros should make it back to normal making ice like it used too, good and fast.:)

Jake

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.