• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Samsung Refrigerator RF23M8070SR never ending ice maker problems

absentx

Premium Member
Model Number
RF23M8070SR
Brand
Samsung
This refrigerators ice maker is a nightmare. Since we purchased this refrigerator I have had it serviced or replaced three times. I would do anything to not have this Refrigerator. What a disaster for $2500.

Here is a summary of the repairs:

1. Had what seemed to be a very experienced repair man over who was very familiar with the problem. Spoke about mitigating adjustments such as new clips, fully sealing ice box and a few other things. Replaced entire ice maker unit. This was covered under warranty.
    1. Ice maker worked well for about two months, then begin to make crap ice, freeze up etc.
  2. About a year later I was able to get another warranty repair authorized by Samsung, this time however there were no longer any Samsung Authorized repair centers in my area. So, they were able to send a guy from A&E factory service over. He had an even more updated ice maker, called the guy that did the initial repair a complete idiot based on some things he saw, and insisted his repair would work. Once again, new unit installed under warranty.
    1. Ice maker worked well for about two months, then began to make crap ice, freeze up etc.
  3. About a year later I contact Samsung one more time and demand they continue to give me warranty service on this crap ice maker that has never worked. Luckily they obliged. Guess who came this time? Exact same A&E guy from last time. Once again he had a supposed updated kit and installed it.
    1. After this installation, the ice bucket never fit all the way in again, and I did not notice this at the time of the repair completion. The ice bucket also had a crack in the bottom which led to lots of leaking, so I purchased a new ice bucket hoping that it would fit better and no longer leak, solving two problems in one.
Current synopsis:
  1. New ice bucket still does not fit. I have tried adjusting auger, I have even taken the angle grinder the plastic piece at the end of the auger because it was sticking out too far. I have even removed the metal rod and test fit the bucket to see if that is the problem. It is not, even with rod fully removed the bucket will not fully seat. Bottom line I have no idea why the bucket no longer fits after the unsuccessful third repair attempt.
  2. Because the ice bucket never fully seats, obviously there are all sorts of problems...freezing up, crappy ice, water. You name it.
  3. Bottom line after four years I still have a $2500 refrigerator with an ice maker that essentially does not work.
So, I think I have to be done with any type of Samsung based repair, even if they were to warranty it. There are no authorized repair centers around me and they seem to send the same A&E guy who just can't seem to get it right. With that in mind, I have no problem taking on this job myself, but I am not sure what I need to do to fix the issue.

I have seen the bulletins about the clips, the updated heater on the fill tube and about ensuring the fill tube hose is not too far down into the fill port or something?

Did the A&E guy simply install the wrong ice maker or install it improperly thus the bucket not able to seat all the way in?

Can I buy an entire new bucket and ice maker kit for this refrigerator so I can start from scratch?

Thanks for any and all help!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Yes, back in January of 2020 I posted the service bulletin on this problem and the parts it says to order.

Look at post #3 here:

Just download and follow the instructions of that service bulletin and you can make sure that AE tech did it properly, sounds like he didn't if the bucket will not fit in properly now.

Jake

absentx

Premium Member
Okay amazing thanks!

So it looks like my current ice maker is DA97-18859A

Could that be the reason the ice bucket doesn't fit? Although it appears to have been a proper part number at one point, I'll just have to assume the last person put it in wrong.

Either way, I would like to start from scratch.

If I order DA97-13718C (ice maker assembly) and DA82-02367A (Y clip assembly) that should give me everything I need for a total reset right?

I have tested the seals/ice chute etc and they do not leak.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
DA97-18859A crosses over to DA97-13718C

What is the ice maker part number on the receipt the A&E guy gave you?

Jake

absentx

Premium Member
Unfortunately I do not have the receipt any longer. Its been about a year.

The part number I referenced is visible right on the icemaker.

Also, can I get a recommendation for a steam gun? Usually I just turn it to shop mode and set hot cups of water in the ice room but it takes forever to defrost, I just want to get the right tools and be done with this.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I don't use a steam gun, I use a heat gun which I got at JohnStone Supply.

Jake

absentx

Premium Member
Actually I have one of those...I'll just use that on the low setting.

Alright tomorrow I might try to quickly remove ice maker and do some test fitting of the bucket to see where the fitment problem is. I also need to check the fill tube location as that is the one thing I have never seen a tech verify.

If I can fix the fitment problem and the tube is too far in, I will fix those two issues and see what happens. If not, I'll order a new ice maker and start from scratch.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds like a plan.:)

Yes, let us know how it goes.

Jake

absentx

Premium Member
Okay - so far I have the ice maker removed and I am waiting on some final thawing of the auger motor assembly before removing that. From what I can tell right now, the actual ice maker has nothing to do with the non fitting of the ice bucket, it is 100% the auger assembly that is somehow interfering. I'll know more once all the ice is clear and I can get it out.

absentx

Premium Member
Alright phase one of this job is complete. I fully removed the ice maker assembly and the auger assembly. This is good, I have finally taken the whole damn thing apart and feel it's a pretty easy job moving forward.

So - what I found was there was lots of ice in and behind the auger, I am nearly positive that a large chunk of ice behind the auger was not allowing it to fully seat properly, thus causing the ice bucket to not fit correctly.

Then, I found something else. The tech that replaced it last had a whole service kit with a new main board, but he left the kit and the bulletin behind and I was never sure if he put the new drain pipe that came with the kit in, so I made sure to save the drain pipe (I wasn't sure if this was the new one, or if he put in the new one, and just placed the old one back in the box.) Ultimately I don't think he did any of it so I installed the newer insulated drain pipe while I was in there.

Clips are installed properly, fill tube was not too far in.

Now the problem is, I have no idea if the auger fan even works. It had ice chunks between the blades so I am sure it was probably stuck. Maybe she'll fire back up now that everything is thawed and free.

Bottom line it's all back together and the ice bucket finally fits in...now I'll watch it for a few weeks and see if frost and crap ice returns or if the problem is finally solved.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, sounds like you made great progress with it.:)

Glad to hear the ice bucket fits normal again!

Let us know in the coming weeks how its all doing.

Jake

absentx

Premium Member
I think I already need to start looking into other potential fixes. I am already getting some dripping when I first try to get ice. Before I took it apart, basically the whole front portion of the ice bucket would just be filled with slushy ice.

I have poured water down the ice chute and I know that is not leaking. Could there perhaps be a leak between the ice maker bucket and the gasket to the chute in the door? I have inspected the gasket thoroughly and it appears to be fine.

Also, if my auger motor was broken would it cause these issues? I don't have any freezing yet, but already starting to see a drop or two of condensation under the ice maker/above ice bucket and I Just know if I let this go on, that in a few weeks I'll have noticeable ice build up and slushy ice with a free plop of water every time I try to get ice.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
See this evaporator coil below which the ice maker fits into, if that not frosty at all at anytime you check it?

1601680923019.png

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, then it should be making the ice maker tray mold cold to make the ice solid in your ice tray.

Put a freezer thermometer in your ice maker compartment overnight and see what the temperature reads in the morning.

Jake

absentx

Premium Member
Okay here is the info. I actually have a great weather set at home that stores history. I put the one from our living room right into the ice bucket!

Attached are the data. Looks like it bottomed out at 31.1 and was just at or below freezing most of the time.

Attachments

• freezer-temp-graph.PNG
    freezer-temp-graph.PNG
    152 KB · Views: 20

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's way too warm, should be 16 degrees or lower at all times for the ice maker to work.

Do you hear the ice maker compartment fan running, you called it a auger fan.:)

Here's the ice maker compartment fan for your model:
DA31-00070E Motor Dc-Box FAN;2606JL

Also what worries me is it only stayed 31 degrees for only 6 hours, so you may have a more underlying problem.

Jake

absentx

Premium Member
Noooo it never runs!! Never makes a noise, yeah that's gotta be it, I'll order a new one! Thanks!

It only stayed that temp for six hours because I put the thermometer in there about one AM, then took it out at 7:40 AM when I woke up. Its gotta be the fan, that thing most likely blew out years ago because there was too much ice building up in it and I am nearly positive that in all the repair guys that came over, no one ever removed the auger assembly, it was always just the ice maker. In fact - my wife and I have heard a motor going in the past that all the sudden sounded like it was violently running into something (fan blades into ice).

I think trying a new fan has to be the way to go?

Oh, also, I am pretty sure I screwed up the wiring harness in my last removal, can you give the Part number/link for new wiring harnesses? If I replace both of those plus the fan I think I'll be in good shape.

Thanks again for all the help.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member