• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Samsung Refrigerator RF24FSEDBSR Fridge section not keeping cold

Chris1616

Premium Member
Model Number
RF24FSEDBSR
Brand
Samsung
Hello Everyone. I'm trying to diagnose my Samsung Fridge problem. The freezer and lower drink fridge are working however the upper large fridge is not keeping cold. I've read that this may me associates with the evaporator coils getting layered with ice or perhaps the evaporator fan isn't working and therefore not circulating the cold air. So i took off the evaporator cover and looked inside. There was a bit of frost on the coils especially the upper ones, but nothing too crazy. The fan was not frozen at all. But just to make sure the heating coil was working i briefly did a forced defrost (only for 5 minutes because it was night time and the beeping was driving my girlfriend crazy). The coil got hot right away....so i think that is working fine. I then left the back cover ajar and went to sleep. In the morning, the fridge temp was back down to 3 degrees Celsius which is where it was set (the previous day it was 11 celcius.

So i think having the insulated cover off over night allowed the cold air to circulate throughout the fridge. Which makes me think it may be a fan problem. I've checked the fan's continuity using an ohms meter and i get a reading...so I'm guessing the fan is working.

Is there a way for me to actually watch the fan work? Ice read that you can trick the fridge into this king the doors are closed with magnets so you can see it...but can't find those magnetic areas. I don't suppose I can plug the fan directly into a wall socket by using an old wire/plug? Seems like the fan and wiring may not handle 120 volts.

Also, please take a look at the photo. I'm the upper right side of the evaporator coil, it looks like there is some melted/burnt styrofoam and maybe electrical tape. Is this common? Under close inspection, it looks to me like electrical tape may have melted and kind of made a gummy mess...but not that anything was actually burning. But could this potentially be the cause of the fridge not operating well? Any input/help is greatly appreciated. Incidentally, now that the fan is disconnected and the cover is right out of the fridge, I'm getting error code 2 e. I hope that goes away when i hook it back up.

Thank you very much for your help and advice.

-Chris

Attachments

• 20211017_103447.jpg
    20211017_103447.jpg
    245.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 20211017_103455.jpg
    20211017_103455.jpg
    278.5 KB · Views: 20

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
The fresh food fan operates on 12 VDC. Do not use 120 VAC to check it. Check for 12V at the fan motor. If the voltage correct replace the fan motor. If there's no voltage check for 12V on the main board CN76-1 to CN76-4

Chris1616

Premium Member
Thanks Jake. As suggested by Rick, I tested the adapter on the inside of the fridge which the fan plus into...and it reads 12 volts (at least the bottom two prongs do)...so I'm assuming the fan is the problem and I'll get another.

Is it harmful to the fridge to operate it temporarily with the insulated back removed? With the back off, the air can circulate without the fan and it reaches operating Temp. I suppose the defrost cycle really raises the temp in the fridge without the back...and probably causes the fridge to work harder to keep at the pre-set temp?

The reason I'm asking is that i can pick up the fan at a parts store today for $123 CAD plus tax or i can order online for about $65 CAD plus tax but have to wait 2 weeks for delivery. If there is no big problem with it running with the back off, I'd probably just order online and wait for it.

Thanks a lot for your advice guys.

-Chris

Also, side note: - I used magnets to trick the fridge into thinking the doors were closed...because i read that the fan only comes on if doors are closed, and i thought that doors closed would be the only way I'd be able to get a voltage reading. But i removed the magnets...lights went on...and i was still able to read 12 volts. Does that make sense?

Thank you.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
The fan doesn't use the door switch. The fan should run door open or closed. Leaving the cover off will cause the coils to frost over very fast. Defrost sensor might not be able to sense if the element is on or the temperature.

Chris1616

Premium Member
Hi Rick. I popped the new fan in there and it works perfectly now. Thanks a lot for your feedback and guidance. One note, the fan actually does shut off as soon as the door opens.

Thanks again!

-Chris