• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Samsung Refrigerator RF260BEAESR/AA Freezer Not Freezing

working_on_it

Premium Member
Model Number
RF260BEAESR/AA
Brand
Samsung
The freezer does not freeze. Fridge works. Cleaned coils behind the fridge. Changed temp and tried power freeze but didnt help. Have unplugged and plugged back in many times. Thermometer I put in the freezer drawer was reading warmer than the digital reading on fridge the first few days. Then the digital temp on fridge would show colder for a few days than it was but the thermometer in drawer reads warmer. Today fridge digital reads 56 for freezer and 37 for fridge.

I took the back panel inside of the the freezer off and there is no frost on the coils. When I hold the latch to turn off the freezer light, I hear the fan in the freezer turn on.

Yesterday started getting water under the bottom drawer in the fridge. Read this is a problem with the drain freezing up due to the little clip not being big enough to direct the heat to melt ice. I don't know if this affects fridge.

I'm thinking I have a bad 3 way valve or leak in system.

What do I do? I don't have a meter or etc to test. So trying to see if others have this same problem and what the fix is. Is it a thermister or what?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, it sounds like you have the same problem as in this thread:
Look at post #5.

Its best to contact Samsung to come out at 1-800-SAMSUNG (726-7864) to investigate that 3-way valve and the sealed system.

Jake

working_on_it

Premium Member
Thank you for answering me so promptly. I appreciate it.

I saw the photos in the post. Saw the example of the coils lacking frost. I actually saw no frost at all so that matches up. I can feel cool air through the vent openings on that back freezer panel.

On the very back of the fridge, the compressor is running and the fan beside the compressor as well.

Is there something I can do about that 3 way valve? Not sure if this is the same or if it's a good idea, but I came across a video where someone had unplugged what I believe to be a wire connector harness on 3 way valve and used an old toothbrush on the connector and then pugged it back in. Keep in mind I think this is what they did but it wasn't in English so I was having to figure it out and not sure if it was the 3 way valve they showed. I have to look to find a picture of the 3 way valve in order to know, since I have not looked for a photo on it yet.

Thank you.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Unfortunately, I can't locate the service manual that shows you the 3-way valve in the sealed system, and I can't locate it in your parts list either.

But it should be located in the back near the compressor with a electrical wire connector going to it, yes the terminals on it might be corroded, and cleaning those terminals with a brush may solve this problem.

Jake

working_on_it

Premium Member
I took off the back plate. Could not find the 3 way valve. It seems this one has a different design. Ugh...

Attachments

• 20220521_104755.jpg
    20220521_104755.jpg
    222.7 KB · Views: 37

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, looks like you have a different design. I have no experience on this style design, so hopefully a Samsung tech that does these "day in and day out" can shed some light on this problem.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
What does the thermo bi-metal protector do?
It keeps the defrost heater from staying on continually, in case the defrost thermostat/evaporator thermistor fails.

Jake

working_on_it

Premium Member
IF by chance the defrost heater is staying on due to a faulty thermo protector, then this would keep it in defrost mode whereby there would be no frost on the freezer coils? (There is cool air blowing through the vents in the back of the freezer when I hold the latch down that turns light on and off and makes evap fan turn.)

working_on_it

Premium Member
Now its showing its in cooling off mode of demo. How to I get it out of this? Came home and found it like this with the OF

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
IF by chance the defrost heater is staying on due to a faulty thermo protector, then this would keep it in defrost mode whereby there would be no frost on the freezer coils? (There is cool air blowing through the vents in the back of the freezer when I hold the latch down that turns light on and off and makes evap fan turn.)
No, that keeps the defrost heater from overheating and possibly causing a fire inside the unit. Its suppose to turn the defrost heater OFF, as its temperature sensitive.

So is it cooling fine now? Or are we still back to no freezing?

Like I mentioned above if its still not freezing properly, Its best to contact Samsung to come out at 1-800-SAMSUNG (726-7864) to investigate this problem.

There's nothing more I can do for you, sorry, without being at your house with you to see what's going on.

Jake