• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Kimberly123

Premium Member
Model Number
RF265BEAESR/AA
Brand
Samsung
I have a Samsung RF265BEAESR/AA I bought in November of 2017. The freezer has been displaying proper temperatures but are obviously wrong because my food thawed. I've talked with Samsung reps whose only solution was to turn the power off and back on lol, which I obviously already tried before contacting them. I would power the fridge back on and it will show more accurate temperature readings in the 40s and 50s then will "drop back down" according to the display to proper temperatures set. I know its not right because items are still thawed.

I then took the back panels to the compressor and circuit boards off to see if there was anything obvious. Once I turn power back on you can hear the compressor's starter relay click, the compressor starts running, and the fan works. I noticed on what I believe is the inverter circuit board (Not sure haha) a red light that comes on and stays on, which from what I've read on the interwebs is a good thing supposedly means everything is running properly. I've ran diagnostics for the fridge through the smart things app on the tablet part which says it detects no problems.

I then decided I would take the freezer apart, checked the seals to the freezer itself and they are perfect and clean. Took the panel in the back of the freezer off and seen there's some frost at the top around the temperature sensor. I dont know if this is a major issue or not, I kind of assume it could be since it may make the freezer think its completely to correct temperature and stop running to freeze my food.

I dont know which part would not be working correctly to cause this issue. I will attach a photo of the frost. Any guesses for possible problems will be greatly appreciated, the Samsung support people are trying to send a repair guy out but I dont want to pay that bill of its something I might be able to do myself! Thank you!

Attachments

• 20210521_200315.jpg
    20210521_200315.jpg
    241.3 KB · Views: 123

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Per your photo you have a sealed system problem.

The sealed system consists of the compressor, condenser, evaporator, heat exchanger, filter/drier and refrigerant. Common problems with a sealed system are bad compressors, refrigerant leaks, and system restrictions.

Check your owners manual warranty and see if you have a LIMITED sealed system warranty, most refrigerators do, then contact Samsung again to have a tech come out to fix it under warranty.

The cause of the wrong temperature reading is usually caused by a bad temperature sensor.

Here's the freezer temperature sensor for your model:
DA32-10104N Sensor, Temp

Jake

Kimberly123

Premium Member
Yes, I asked about the warranty on my refrigerator and they asked for my serial number and then told me that it expired in January of 2019. I was thinking in my head that I didnt buy my refrigerator until November, but still it would be expired even though thats the case. I heard from many videos I've watched about there being a separate warranty for the "sealed unit" though so I figured I would ask the Samsung representative about it. I tell you it was like pulling teeth to get the Samsung representative to admit to me via a text chat that if it was a problem with the sealed unit that they wouldn't charge me for the service charge, and that there is a 5 year warranty on the sealed unit. Took screenshots of that because It seriously took alot of me asking the same questions before they would admit to me that what I heard was right, I had to basically tell them I had a professional repair man tell me its something with the sealed unit! Then when I mentioned them reimbursing me for the purchase price of my fridge if it was a freon leak they completely ignored me and basically said they just want to schedule a service call and couldn't tell me how much that would cost either if it's not the sealed unit! So now I'm worried lol

I really thought it could be a temperature sensor but wasn't aware that the sensors were part of the sealed unit since I've seen so many people change those themselves! I'm happy I posted to this wonderful forum!!! Thank you so much for a quick response and I hope this works out in my favor, I can't believe I'm already having trouble with a almost 4 year old fridge!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

Kimberly123

Premium Member
Update: After taking the inside cover to the freezer off and seeing the upper coil and temperature sensor decently frosted, I decided to leave it taken apart for the rest of the day to completely defrost on its own. Yesterday I put it back together and turned it back on, left it closed for about 18 hrs now and I decided just now to place some cheap kids Popsicles in there to see if they would freeze. I opened the freezer drawer and noticed that it wasn't even slightly cold, looked up on the digital tablet display and the freezer temperature is 53° and the fridge is 37°! So now I believe the temperature sensor is working so thats not the problem, I'm no expert but now I'm guessing its a freon leak. We are still waiting on the subcontractor through Samsung to get ahold of us to schedule an appointment.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Kimberly, thanks for the update!

Jake

Kimberly123

Premium Member
So on 5/25 Samsung set me up with a company where I had to pay $130 upfront before they would even come out. They came out on 5/27 and changed a fan in the freezer section that still worked but the amperage wasn't as high as a brand new one so they thought that might make it work. If I was home I wouldn't have approved the repair but since I was at work and my husband was home he signed off on it. This did not fix my problem. I dont understand how it would have, circulating hot air?! Because at this point after defrosting the coil for a day it never frosted up again and the fact my fan still worked it blew my mind that an expert with think this would've helped. So after paying out $400 total they said that it was my sealed unit and they couldn't work on sealed units and I would have to call samsung.

I called samsung back and they said they would send out a second company who could work on sealed units. I argued the issue of having to pay out of pocket for another company to come out after telling them BEFORE they sent out the first one that it was a sealed unit problem and they sent a company who couldn't work on those, so they promised I would not have to pay for the second company to come out or any parts so I agreed to it. I asked them to send me an email stating this and they did, it said on this certain ticket number my bill will be covered by samsung. 30 minutes after this conversation with samsung we got a phone call from the same company that had just came out that same day saying they were given my ticket number AGAIN and they can't do sealed units so they will have to cancel my ticket number. I became even more upset and called samsung once again and mentioned they needed to reopen my ticket number because they resent it to the same company who couldn't work on it and they pretty much told me they would have to open up a new ticket, so I refused and asked to speak with someone higher up. (I knew they were trying to get out of having to pay the bill for a new company to come out by changing the ticket number and I wasn't getting stuck with another bill!!!) I mentioned that I'm no refrigerator expert but everything is pointing to a freon leak and what would a company be able to do besides add freon so it would last me another 3 years until my fridge is completely out of warranty?! I then told them I wanted reimbursed the price to replace my fridge. So of course they said they would have to have someone else contact me and it could take 5 or so business days and I said that was fine.

5/31 I just got a phone call today from Samsung saying they dont have a company in my location who can work on sealed units so they are prepared to offer me $2,200 credit to samsung.com to purchase a new fridge. I asked them would that be enough to buy the exact fridge I have and they told me they dont sell my fridge model anymore. So then I asked them why I couldn't just get a check to be able to buy a fridge from where I pleased, and they said to hold on and they will see if they can accommodate that request. They came back saying yes they can either direct deposit or send a check to my house, but mentioned the amount can change. So now I'm waiting on an email or text with a link to a website that I will have to probably jump through hoops to get money to replace my fridge. I shouldve of requested money for a deep freeze since they told me I have to keep my refrigerator until this is done and over with and money for all the food I lost. At this point I'm not sure if I'm going to replace it with another samsung, this has been such a horrible experience and this is coming from a hard-core Samsung fanatic!!!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Oh my gosh, what a nightmare Samsung and that company that came out is, I'm sorry that happened to you.

Its best to stay well clear of Samsung and LG appliances completely.

All us techs here recommend Whirlpool, Maytag, KitchenAid, and Amana for the best and most reliable sealed systems.

Jake