• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Samsung Refrigerator RF28HDEDBSR - refrigerator display temperature is wrong

e-spice

Premium Member
Model Number
RF28HDEDBSR
Brand
Samsung
Hi,

I have a four year old Samsung refrigerator model RF28HDEDBSR that is displaying the wrong temperature on the door display for the refrigerator section. The temperature reads between around 50-70F. The interior temperature has been verified to be between 41 and 51F. The interior light and ice dispenser is also not working sometimes which I understand is common if the refrigerator senses the interior is too warm. I cycled the power several times but that didn't resolve anything. I took the back panel off inside the refrigerator and there was a little frost on the coils but nothing excessive. I cleared the frost with a hairdryer and gently dried everything off with a towel. I replaced the defrost temperature sensor and that didn't seem to fix it.

The freezer temperature and freezer display temperature seem fine.

Any suggestions on what to try? Maybe replace the control board?

Thanks so much for any suggestions.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
I cycled the power several times
That can do more damage to a refrigerator than good. It's too much strain on the compressor and electronics.
there was a little frost on the coils but nothing excessive.
Can you take a picture of the frost pattern and post it here? Leave the machine running when you remove the cover.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, Rick is correct, it sounds like you have 2 problems, because the refrigerator temperature should be between 36-40 degrees at all times.

For the temperature display not reading accurate--->You will need to order and replace the refrigerator sensor.

Here's the refrigerator sensor for your model that you will need to fix this problem:
DA32-00011C Sensor

3 members with this exact same problem said it fixed theirs:

Jake

e-spice

Premium Member
I really appreciate the responses and info. I took a picture of the coils. They have more frost than they did yesterday. The fan on the back panel I removed was running. I have a quick video if needed.

coils.jpg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The evaporator coil looks good, is the evaporator fan running at all times?

Put the evaporator cover back in place and put a thermometer inside the refrigerator section and see what the temperature stabilizes at.

Jake

e-spice

Premium Member
The evaporator coil looks good, is the evaporator fan running at all times?

Put the evaporator cover back in place and put a thermometer inside the refrigerator section and see what the temperature stabilizes at.

Jake
It seems like the fans runs most, if not all the time.

That pic looks like the cover was off for a while.
No, it actually wasn't. I left the refrigerator on and quickly snapped the picture after removing the cover. It had more ice than it did the day before when I had the cover off to replace the defrost temperature sensor.

e-spice

Premium Member
I appreciate all the suggestions.

Here's an update. I checked the resistance of the defrost heater. It was 142 ohms. I also replaced the temperature sensor, the DA32-00011C part, noted above, about a day ago. That went well but unfortunately didn't resolve the issue. The displayed temperature has fluctuated between 58F & 38F with the inside temperature is about 41F (verified with an infrared thermometer). The lights inside the refrigerator and icemaker only work some of the time.

The freezer works fine. It's displaying 1F and I verified the temperature to be 1F.

Any suggestions on what to try next? Maybe replace the main control board? I'm also having a problem with the icemaker freezing (even though I've replaced it with a newer version) and it's my understanding a newer control board can help with that.

Thank you for all the help.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
It sounds like a control board issue. The frost build up on the coils is blocking the airflow from the evaporator fan. The FF compartment sensor isn't satisfied so the fan keeps running and keeps the freezer temperature OK. The defrost heater checked good and the control board controls the defrost system so it sounds like a bad control board. I don't have the tech sheet. See if you can locate yours. look under a hinge cover.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes Sir, I agree with Rick!

Jake

e-spice

Premium Member
Sorry for the delay. I replaced the main control board but am still seeing the issue. The displayed temperature will occasionally creep up to about 57F or so and the interior lights and icemaker will stop working. Most of the time though, the displayed temperature is 38F. The freezer has no problems. I'd appreciate any other suggestions to try.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Did you defrost the evaporator coil and put the cover back in place over the evaporator coil? Is the evaporator fan motor running?

Jake

e-spice

Premium Member
Did you defrost the evaporator coil and put the cover back in place over the evaporator coil? Is the evaporator fan motor running?

Jake
Hi Jake - yes, it was was defrosted and I put the cover back on a few weeks ago. I can hear a fan running inside the refrigerator occasionally. I assume it's the evaporator fan. It was definitely working when I had the cover off. We're still using the refrigerator. It's normally works fine, just every few days the displayed temperature will occasionally creep up to about 57F or so and the interior lights won't turn on and ice maker auger won't deliver ice. The issue appears to resolve itself after a few hours - the temperature in the refrigerator returns to 38F as well as the ice maker auger and lights start working again. There are no error codes displayed.

Last edited: