• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Samsung Refrigerator RF28HFEDTSR/AA - need force default code for this model

ChristieM

Premium Member
Model Number
RF28HFEDTSR/AA
Brand
Samsung
My parents have a Samsung RF28HFEDTSR/AA refrigerator with an ice maker that is making a repetitive clicking noise. I have read enough to determine that there are a lot of issues with this ice maker, and I need to start with defrosting it and removing the bucket. I'm trying to force it into defrost mode to see if I can remove the bucket (it is stuck). I have seen several videos with instructions to hold a combination of panel buttons to get it into FD mode - but those don't seem to work for this model. Can someone tell me the correct sequence for this model? I have the service bulletin, and also a service manual - however the service manual is for the RF28HMED (not HFED) and the panel appears to be different. Thanks!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Here's the service manual for your model: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TAr7JobRaVaf6Z4MRf-2JFC-3xJolr1T/view?usp=sharing

Looks like your parents model doesn't have that option, On Page 46: If the ice maker is frozen, it can be melt by using the steam heater.

Here's the service bulletin on it: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ak4MVv-rYRUjt16XgJikBCAymbMnF0gG/view?usp=sharing

It goes by the serial number 8th and 9th digits to determine what Ice maker kit you get.

Screenshot 2022-08-19 17.14.21.png

What's the 8th and 9th serial number digits of their refrigerator?

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok thanks!

So the 8th and 9th of your parents is HC so per that chart you need:

Jake

ChristieM

Premium Member
Thanks - that is the part I had determined too. The bucket is frozen in - I’ve bee trying to steam defrost for the last hour just to get the bucket out

ChristieM

Premium Member
Jake - finally got the bucket out! A couple more questions … Is the ice room service kit ( - cooling loop retainer and y-clips) included with the ice maker assembly or separate? I also intend to replace the ice bucket.

It looks like the ice compartment in the lower freezer drawer has a completely separate icemaker. Is that correct? I was trying to determine if I turn off the ice maker from the panel, would the one in the bottom freezer drawer be cut off as well. I was going to leave the upper bucket out for now but wanted to ensure we still had ice from the bottom. Thanks so much for your help.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Look on page 31 in that service bulletin I posted in post #2 above and shows you what it comes with, it does include those clips.:)

Here's the ice bucket:
Ice Bucket DA97-14474C

It looks like the ice compartment in the lower freezer drawer has a completely separate icemaker. Is that correct?
That is correct.

Here's the freezer compartment ice maker for your model:
DA97-07603B Ice Maker Assembly

When you click the link to it, you will see a video of how to replace it.:)

Jake

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.