• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Samsung Refrigerator RF28R7351SG - How does the fridge operate?

Vaporhead

Premium Member
Model Number
RF28R7351SG
Brand
Samsung
Hello. I have a Samsung RF28R7351SG fridge. We have been having constant power outages here in southern Texas from winter storms. I noticed that following these constant outages, our freezer might not be holding temperature any longer. The fridge seems fine, but the freezer is about 15-20 degrees warmer then it should. I will wait until power is more stable to confirm if there actually is a problem, but my question really is, how does cooling cycle operate? I figure the fridge and freezer share the same compressor, have different coils, etc., but how does the temperature be maintained between the different areas? Is there an expansion valve for the fridge AND freezer and this is how the fridge can freezer can be at different temps? I hope this makes sense.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I was afraid this was going to happen when Texas started doing the rolling blackouts.

When they turn the power back on--->Power Surges/Power Spikes are appliance killers.

That can make the compressors short out, circuit boards, fan motors, thermistors short out, etc.

You have 1 compressor that cools both sides, per a thermistor that monitors the temperature in each side.

How is it doing this morning in the freezer? Is the freezer fan running?

Jake

Vaporhead

Premium Member
Thanks for the response, Jake.

With these rolling outages, we have power for 1-2 hours at a time, then it goes out for around 45 minutes. Sometimes before the "rolling outage" the power will turn off for a second and come right back on.

Anyways, I can hear the fan running on the fridge, and it is cooling. The freezer was at 34 degrees after the last outage, and it down to 7 at the moment. I have the "power freeze" option selected now to get it as cold as possible before the next outage. These power issues have been terrible.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, if the fan and compressor are running, you should be fine.

Hopefully your power will come on and stay on soon.

Jake