• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Samsung Refrigerator RF30HBEDBSR ice build up on evaporator coils & fan

Dalumberjack

Premium Member
Model Number
RF30HBEDBSR
Brand
Samsung
So this thread is what originally brought me here:

This thread is what I have been going through for 3 years. First it was all the problems with the ice maker, but after replacing every part in their, the ice maker actually works trouble free for over a year now.

This darn build up on the evap coils is killing me. I have done it all short of doing the expanding foam. Right now I'm defrosting so I can replace the temp sensor and heat sensor.

Attached is a picture of its current state. Probably the best the build up has looked. Usually it's much worse when I start to hear the fan grinding.

Did anyone ever find a fix for this issue? The thread I posted above ended with no real answer or fix to this situation.

Appreciate you all here and all the help you give us DIY people who can't afford to pay six figures to a repair guy to come out, just to throw parts at it, without knowing the true fix.

Attachments

• 20210830_132807.jpg
    20210830_132807.jpg
    333.4 KB · Views: 74

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
The pic looks like a problem with the sealed system. When it build up with ice is it mostly on the top like the picture or is the entire evaporator frosted over?

Dalumberjack

Premium Member
The pic looks like a problem with the sealed system. When it build up with ice is it mostly on the top like the picture or is the entire evaporator frosted over?
Hey Rick,

It's mostly at the top now. I can tell there is a small amount of ice build up behind the wall as some water droplets come from behind the connectors when I perform a full defrost.

I discovered a small hairline Crack in the wall, hence me going overboard on the hvac tape and sealing everything that looked suspect.

Before the hvac tape, the ice would build up on the entire coil assembly.

I just put the fridge back together after replacing the temp and heat sensor. I also redid all the foam on the plastic cover, hoping it will have a better seal this time.

Any other suggestions is greatly appreciated. The ice build up definitely starts at the top where the lines come down into the cooling area.

rickgburton

Staff member
Do this: Defrost all the frost and ice from the coils. Put everything back together and set the controls on the factory settings. Wait 24 hours with few door openings. Leave the machine plugged in and running while you remove the cover and check the frost pattern. If frost is on only the top coils there's a sealed system issue. Possibly a refrigerant leak.

Dalumberjack

Premium Member
Do this: Defrost all the frost and ice from the coils. Put everything back together and set the controls on the factory settings. Wait 24 hours with few door openings. Leave the machine plugged in and running while you remove the cover and check the frost pattern. If frost is on only the top coils there's a sealed system issue. Possibly a refrigerant leak.
I apologize for late reply. Wife and I just had our first kid and it's a wild ride. Where does all the time go!?!?!?!?

Fridge has been working OK since I replaced both probes last week.

I would do what you posted, but with the little guy, I'm limited on my time and down time allowed with the fridge.

If I get a day where they are gone I'll take it apart as a follow up / check up to see where it's at and post an update here.

If it is a leak in the cooling system, not even sure where to start or how much that will cost if it's something I can't mess with.

Appreciate your time and help!

rickgburton

Staff member
Fridge has been working OK since I replaced both probes last week. ......... I would do what you posted,
No need to if it's working ok. Congratulations on the baby from all of us at applianceblog!