• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Samsung Refrigerator RF323TEDBSR freezer not getting cold

Stimpledog

Premium Member
Model Number
RF323TEDBSR
Brand
Samsung
My freezer compartment is not getting cold. I've already cleaned the coil and checked that all the fans and condenser are running. The fridge is running fine and maintaining 37 degrees. The coil in the freezer isn't frozen over and the fan is running. It appears that the thermistor is working as the display reads 55 degrees in the freezer (which seems about right). I suspect something may be wrong with the diverter valve (not sure that's the correct term) that switches where the coolant is going, but not sure how to test that or even get to it.

There thread here:
It got me to that point, but now I'm stuck. Wondering if it's worth my time to replace the main board, or if I just need to buy a new refrigerator?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I'd remove the evaporator cover in the freezer and look at the frost pattern of the freezer evaporator, in fact take a photo of it and upload it here.

Normal would be a thin layer of frost on ALL the coils from Top to Bottom.

Jake

Stimpledog

Premium Member
Thanks for replying Jake! I removed the freezer evap cover a couple of times during my diagnostics and it was almost completely dry and free of frost. It was cold to the touch but not as cold as it should be to cool the freezer compartment. The freezer temp has been pretty steadily in the high 50s.

Stimpledog

Premium Member
I just discovered that my bi-metal defrost thermostat is bad, at least I think it is. It's closed at room temperature, when I think it should be open, correct? If that's the case, will that cause the freezer to not cool, or would that only cause a problem with the defrost cycle? I have the thermostat removed and it's still not cooling, so seems that that isn't the problem. Would the freezer operate without it plugged in?

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
No, on these models the defrost thermostat is thermistor, meaning it ohms at temperature.

You can ohm test the defrost thermostat with a multimeter, it should read about 13.3K ohms at 32 degrees.

Here's the defrost thermostat for your model:
DA47-00243K Defrost Thermostat

At any rate, it seems more like a sealed system problem, or a 3-way valve problem, since the evaporator coil does not have a thin layer of frost on it at all.

I don't have the service manual to help you diagnose a 3-way valve problem, sorry, and I'd hate to see you buy a expensive control board and that not fix it either.

Hopefully another tech works on Samsung refrigerators day in and day out can assist you.

Jake

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.