Samsung Refrigerator RFG237AARS constantly running

lorosario

Premium Member
Model Number
RFG237AARS
Brand
Samsung
Hi

My refrigerator is constantly running throughout the day. It's been consuming more than 3KWh per day, when is supposed to consume 537Kwh per year.

I have verified and clean the condenser coils and the door gasket. The door gasket for the freezer had mold on it, I have thoroughly clean them. One thing I noticed was that my freezer is set at 2F and its saying that is at 2F, but my thermometer is saying that is -6 or -9 and it never cycle off. The fridge is at 36F and sometimes it goes to 30F.

I do live in a very hot and humid country (Puerto Rico).

What could be wrong? Is there anything I can verify? Could it be a seal leak?

Thanks in advanced.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member

lorosario

Premium Member
Thank you Rick fro replying.

I will check the temp sensors first because I believe the problem is with the freezer. The fridge will stop cooling but the freezer just keep going. Eventually it will stop.

I searched for the board on ebay and they dont accept returns, so I dont want to spend the money and then not be able to return it, if I need. The link you sent me doesn't ship to PR.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

rickgburton

Staff member
The board should have fixed it.

Did this problem just show up or have you had this problem since you've had the refrigerator?

Are you the original owner?

What is the resistance of the thermistor you checked and at what temperature did you check it?

You'll need to take some voltage measurements. Do you have a DMM that can measure AC and DC Volts?

lorosario

Premium Member
Hi Rick
This problem showed up like a month or two ago.
I am the original owner.

I checked both the F sensor and R Sensor. F- 26.5k at around 3.6 degrees and R - 12.5k at around 34.1.

Yes I have a DMM. I could check the sensors again if needed or any other voltage.

Thank you

rickgburton

Staff member
See if the voltage and resistance match up with the temperatures. I'll post the chart. If they do match up, try this:

The control uses different segments of "8" in the display to indicate any errors/faults. Press Energy Saver and lighting simultaneously for 8 seconds. If there's any error codes/faults the control will display them for 30 seconds then return the machine back to normal cooling mode.

8.jpg
1s 10s.jpg
self.jpg
error code.jpg

2-Samsung Thermistor.jpeg

lorosario

Premium Member
I will do the measurements this evening.

I have on problem with the display panel not displaying location R10a R10b and R1d. They dont display these location even when setting up temperature. So I don't know if there are any errors regarding this location.

I

rickgburton

Staff member
OK, those are your error codes. R-1-d is refrigerator fan error. If that fan is not working the compressor would run constantly.

R-10-a is a pantry damper heater error and R-10-b is a pantry sensor error. Disconnect the pantry heater connector from the board and measure its resistance. The pantry sensor error can be caused by the fan not working.

lorosario

Premium Member
Ok. Even if they are not displaying while I set the temperature? does the error stays forever? I have uploaded a video also with the self diagnose. I currently have the ice maker off.

IMG_0936.jpg

Last edited: